Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: repair or replacing motor on old Rockwell Delta lathe

Had very similar motor repaired recently

I have never posted on sawmillcreek, or any other site before (Hope I am doing this post correctly). But I do check here before I make any purchasing or repairing decisions. Thanks to all for all the help I have gotten over the years. I had a similar (almost identical) motor rebuilt recently, new bearings, new capacitor, all new lead wires inside case, cost was $180 and it runs perfect. Patchen Electric in Lawrence KS did the work. They told me this motor will run another 40 years. The motor is from a vintage 1260 Delta lathe I am in the process of restoring. As a side note, I am looking for the four step pulley for the headstock for this lathe. The shaft diameter is 1-1/4 inches. This pulley is hard to find. Delta has this pulley as new old stock, but they want $350 for it. Again, thanks for all you guys for your expertise and advise.

Now - questions on replacing the bearings...

All,
    its been a while since I posted on this project. Per suggestions from this discussion group, I ordered a new 3-phase motor and VFD Dealers Industrial equipment in NY. I was excited when it came back in Jan but then I broke my arm and have been out of commission for a long spell.

Just working on it again now. I've built an adjustable platform so i could adjust the belt tension for the various step-pulley sizes. (see pix) After testing this I realized that the bearings in the headstock were not in good condition. Seems that these are semi-standard bearings from the ~1953 vintage lathe - ND C88505 and I see them available at a few auto parts stores in the area.

My question is about removal. When I opened the outer dust cap - as you face the lathe with the headstock on the left, this would be the leftmost end, the entire bearing was rotating in the machined headstock. This of course means that the bearings are shot but is there anything else I need to do when I replace it to stop the entire bearing from spinning again?

Would anyone know the best way to remove the bearings - do I need a puller for this? Also any pointers for reinstallation would be helpful.
    If there's a little longitudinal play in the shaft, should I try to add some shims?

thank you

'mark

IMG_5046.jpgIMG_5048.jpgIMG_5074.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jim,

my headstock pulley was in pretty good shape, I just had to carefully straighten a few of the pulley flanges, but now it seems ok. I did have to get a new motor step pulley as my new motor has a 7/8" bore. I found mine on Ebay, for about $40. Gradually I am rebuilding this old beast. i think my Delta lathe is ~1953 vintage based on the serial number. I hope you have been able to find a new pulley. I was told my local motor repair shop would not even touch that old small motor so i just opted for a new one and really like the variable speed drive. learning a lot with this project and hopefully it will all work out.

best

'mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark ahlenius View Post
    All,
    its been a while since I posted on this project. Per suggestions from this discussion group, I ordered a new 3-phase motor and VFD Dealers Industrial equipment in NY. I was excited when it came back in Jan but then I broke my arm and have been out of commission for a long spell.

Just working on it again now. I've built an adjustable platform so i could adjust the belt tension for the various step-pulley sizes. (see pix) After testing this I realized that the bearings in the headstock were not in good condition. Seems that these are semi-standard bearings from the ~1953 vintage lathe - ND C88505 and I see them available at a few auto parts stores in the area.

My question is about removal. When I opened the outer dust cap - as you face the lathe with the headstock on the left, this would be the leftmost end, the entire bearing was rotating in the machined headstock. This of course means that the bearings are shot but is there anything else I need to do when I replace it to stop the entire bearing from spinning again?

Would anyone know the best way to remove the bearings - do I need a puller for this? Also any pointers for reinstallation would be helpful.
    If there's a little longitudinal play in the shaft, should I try to add some shims?

thank you

'mark

IMG_5046.jpgIMG_5048.jpgIMG_5074.jpg
    Got this for you Mark, if you still need it.

Bearing change 1.jpg Bearing change 2.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Leo,

thanks very much for your posting. Very helpful.

Have a great day!

'mark