Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Can Happen, Auto Ignition of Stain Rags

It Can Happen, Auto Ignition of Stain Rags

Woke up the other morning at 3:00 am by the fire alarms blaring, inside the house fire alarms, I dont have one in the garage. The fire alarms inside the house went off with the amount of smoke coming through the garage door, there was a lot of smoke in the garage. When I opened the garage door, I was greeted with 5 foot flames coming from the garage floor. There was a pile of rags, other things from a plastic garbage can, the can had melted to the floor and was a pile of molten plastic producing black smoke. There was so much smoke that I was not sure I was going to be able to stay in there to fight the fire. I knew where my fire extinguisher was, a 10 lb bottle, I sprayed it at the fire, it lasted a short time and ran out, the fire was knocked down but not out, and was growing again. I hit the door opener and kicked the burning plastic outside, of course I had been woken up out of bed so no shoes, just a guy fighting a fire in my underwear, nice protective equipment. Now I have a giant blister on my foot. The fire was still going so I started filling up buckets of water in my sink to fight the fire, I am lucky to have a laundry sink in the garage, a few buckets and it was finally out.

I can tell you that was the closest I have came to burning the house down, I can see how it can happen. I am having a cover put over my deck and had been staining some boards, wiping off the excess stain with rags. I was not worried about the rags because I thought it was Linseed Oil that could auto ignite. Maybe the stain had a fair amount of Linseed Oil in it, it was a clear stain. Anyway, whatever it was, if you don't already know, be careful how you dispose of oily rags. It is one hell of a way to be woken up, I don't need to do that again.

I have been able to clean it up, I bought an ozone generator to help remove the smell, I thought it might be a gimmick, but it worked great. I ran it for 30 minutes, and that is all it took to remove the smell of fire and burnt plastic. I will have to paint the ceiling because it is a very dark color now, the lights no longer reflect anything, it is much darker in there. The back end of my lathe had some burn marks but some paint will fix that, and my miter saw cabinet almost caught fire, I was able to sand the damage and is good as new. I just ordered a smoke detector for the garage, it will alarm inside the house if there is smoke. I figure if I had a detector out there I could have fought the fire much sooner, and when it was much smaller. If you don't have a detector in the garage, you might think about putting one in, it could save a crucial amount of time, if a fire starts and you have to wait until enough smoke gets into the house to set off one of the house detectors.

I am feeling extremely lucky to have not lost the house, or at least the garage. If it had happened when I was not at home, I am sure it would have been lost. Sorry this was so long, but oily rags can be deadly.

I don't even store stain rags folded or inside. Beauty of living in the country I guess. Mine are spread out on a dirt pile till dried.

Heck i want to put in a fire cabinet too to store my cans of finish in.

TG you are safe! Heal soon.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Glad it turned out ok....you were lucky.

NEVER LEAVE FINISHING RAGS IN THE HOUSE. I constantly have to remind myself as it is easy to be lazy

You should consider getting an alarm for the garage. You can get a smoke alarm or temperature alarm. I have temperature alarms that alarm over a certain temperature or over a certain rate of rise. Mine are tied into a monitored alarm system.

Thanks, I have an alarm ordered through Amazon, should be here in a couple of days. I also would not mind having a paint storage cabinet.

Wow, scary!! I'm glad everything worked out for the best. I bet ya' won't make that error again.

I hang my finish rags in a bush outside the shop to dry in the wind, and then still store them in a sealed metal container until trash day, and I still worry.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks for the reminder. VERY GLAD YOU ARE SAFE!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I always hang my finishing rags outside on an old clothesline that was here when we bought our house 15 years ago. Never intended to take it down. Its handy when you have large items to dry. When the rags are dry, I won't even put them in the trash for fear of seeing or hearing of a refuse truck catching fire. I have a burn pile on my property where I dispose of scraps that have outlived their usefulness. I put the rags there and burn the pile when needed.
    Thankfully, your story ended with little damage. Glad to hear that. Be careful.

Blog Entries
    Always good to have the reminder. Just goes to show that no matter how many times we mention safety practices, it is not enough. I have a metal bucket with a lid that I fill with several inches of water. This bucket sets outside the shop when I am finishing. As I get done with a rag it goes in the bucket. Later on (sometimes days later) I will lay them out or drape them over a line to dry then toss them in the trash.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glad you caught it in time. They make self closing foot opened oily rag trash cans. Any solvent, other then water, can spontaneously combust. So thinner, alcohol, gasoline, oil, etc.
    Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-Galv.../dp/B0076NILQE

Glad to hear you saved the house and shop, it's a great warning to all of us.

When I clean the ashes from my wood stove I put them in a small metal garbage can. I leave them there to cool off until the next time I need to clean the stove. By then they are several months cold and they go into the big plastic trash can .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Glad you caught it in time. They make self closing foot opened oily rag trash cans. Any solvent, other then water, can spontaneously combust. So thinner, alcohol, gasoline, oil, etc.
    Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-Galv.../dp/B0076NILQE
    i hate to disagree but water can spontaneously combust! When it is separated.Hydrogen Dioxide! ��
    I have seen it explode.

Blog Entries
    Steve, so glad it didn't turn into a major disaster for you. Almost lost my motor home (and possibly my home) due to an electrical issue while stored in the drive parked next to the garage. Thankfully we heard the RV smoke alarm going off through an open window. So I know the feeling of panic and the adrenalin rush.

I always hang my stain rags to dry or just throw them on the concrete floor, spread out. In my shop. Don't go in the garbage until they are dry and hard. Can't spontaneously combust unless the heat can build up, as in bunched together in a pile or a can. Seventh grade wood shop. If the finish has a propensity to self combust with soaked rags, there will be a warning on the can, unless your can is really old.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-03-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I am more than a little embarrassed that i let this happen, with that said, I still wanted to post this as a reminder to all that this does happen.

I just received a smoke alarm for the garage, and will be installing it today. Ole Anderson, you are right about the adrenalin rush and panic, when I opened the garage door and saw the fire, I was only thinking, get the fire extinguisher and put it out. Later I could reflect on what just happened and why, it is a heck of a way to be woken up, it got the blood flowing pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hardy View Post
    i hate to disagree but water can spontaneously combust! When it is separated.Hydrogen Dioxide! ��
    I have seen it explode.
    Well then wood can spontaneously combust as well. It is well known that if it is separated into turpentine it will easily spontaneously combust on a rag soaked in turpentine.
    Also di-hydrogenoxide can cause suffocation if it is allowed to reach a high concentration such that it displaces breathing air. Lucky that most people will notice and immediately attempt to reach areas where the concentration is lower, at least below nose level.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-03-2018 at 1:10 PM.