Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a tenon saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I admit I have trouble staying awake with Dr Strangelove. The other movie you note I don't recall ever seeing but I'll look for it. This clip typifies what I love and most remember about Peter Sellers in Pink Panther series (RIP).
    By the time I first saw that scene I had already lived in France for a year, so I thought that the room/rheum/rhume thing was the funniest thing ever (also, I was 11).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-02-2018 at 1:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I liked Peter Sellers in Revenge of the Pink Panther but don't recall him using any saws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Dr Strangelove was a lot better (and still my favorite movie FWIW). Being There was also magnificent.
    What? No one saw The Magic Christian? Now that was a good movie.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Norton View Post
    So I have been a bit smitten while watch Peter Seller's ! So I would like to enter into some further hand tool work. But I am in need of a tenon saw and would appreciate some suggestions that would not break the bank!
    Thanks!
    Hi Tom,

You do not mention if you prefer western or Japanese pull style saws. Also not knowing your money limit makes for difficulty in suggestions. My favorite saws are currently a few made by Ron Bontz. To me, it was worth breaking into my piggy bank. My currently favorite dovetail saw was a kit. My part was to make a handle, then file and set the teeth. If you are comfortable with filing teeth, my suggestion would be to buy a used saw or a few to bring back to life.

My tenon saws are practically nonexistent, if you are in the area you would be welcome to come give them a try. You may live in another area, but most likely there is another member near by willing to let you give their saws a whirl.

Most dovetail saws will not cut a deep tenon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What? No one saw The Magic Christian? Now that was a good movie.

jtk
    I've seen it. How can you possibly go wrong with Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr in a story written by Terry Southern? Not to mention the Raquel Welch cameo?

I think it might best be described as "Karl-Marx-meets-Jackass".

EDIT: Clarified *which* Marx.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-02-2018 at 7:05 PM.

Jim, I like your idea of getting an older saw. Western is my preference.

Tom

Where do you live?
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Has your saw been cut off, my Disstons are all 26" except one that came to me damaged and I cut into a panel saw length.

I have 7 or 8 Disston saws.

All my handsaws are either 26" long. I have four panel saws, hanging on the side of the til. Backsaws? Anywhere from that 14" up to a 5 x 30" No. 4 made for Millers Falls Langdon No.75. I think there is an 18" x 4" backsaw hanging up....haven't needed it. can be the OP's IF he is willing to sharpen it. Late 50s era Disston....be perfect to make a new handle for, as well. It is just taking up space in my shop...

There are No. 7s a D-8 @ 26" and @ 20", a few D-23s. A few by Atkins, a Richardson Bros. No. 8, and a Disston IMP rip saw. And that D-112 that Disston only made from 1928-29. Not that I'm a "Collector" or anything....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    I've come to really like a Gyokucho 240mm ryoba for tenon-saw tasks. It is the cheapest new option, I think, and cuts fast and cleanly. Plus, you get a crosscut/carcass saw at the same time.

For western saws, LN and LV are probably the best options available for reasonable money.

Used tenon saws are cheap and easy to find, usually. If they are nice and straight they are usually not difficult to restore, since they are rip teeth and fairly easy to file.
    +1 on Roberts description. Tenon Saws are filed rip tooth. Carcass Saws are filed x cut. Of all the backsaw makers listed within this thread, Lie Nielsen is the only 1 that has a good understanding of this principle.. https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...-rip?node=4150 https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...saw-?node=4146

Stewart,

While it is true that in the prehistory of saw making, in the early and mid 18th century the British did use arcane names for saws depending on the task they were used for (tenon saws were actually called tonond saws), by the time any saw was made that people on this list might run across, they were just called "Backsaws". What you used it for was your business. Attached is a snippet from the "Backsaw" page of each of the big three makers, Disston, Simonds and Atkins (in that order). You will notice that they are all called "Backsaws". Also notice the line in the Disston ad that "Backsaws" filed rip were available upon request, which is the main reason you rarely see them. It is inexplicable to me why, as there were as many reasons to have a rip filed backsaw back then as there are now, but after 20 years of collecting, I have only run across a few.

So, to say that only Lie Nielsen gets the carcass and tenon thing is not accurate. There was no such designation when the vast majority of backsaws were made. I'd further posit that the reason Lie Nielsen uses those names is because of me. When I sold him the saw works back in 1998, I made a Carcass saw, which was loosely modeled after those seen in the Seaton Chest. As it was a British replica, I thought it fitting to use the British designation. If I would have modeled it after an American Backsaw, I would have just called it a Backsaw.

backsaws.jpg

NE Ohio. Where it is cold and snowy!

Thanks Pete. I was not aware of that history with regard to back saws vs tenon saws. Then again, I never cease to amaze myself with my own ignorance. I should probably come out from under the rock a little more often. I myself use the term back saw as a broader description of them and then distinguish between them using the phrases "carcass saw ( 12" x 2.5" usually cross cut ), Sash saw ( 14" x 3.5" usually rip ), and larger tenon saw ( up to 5" x 20" ) always rip with bigger teeth )".

FWIW- Lee Valley also distinguishes their back saws by size using Dovetail, Carcass, and Tenon labels. They offer each size in both rip & crosscut, but seem to understand the tradition because their three saw starter package is a rip Dovetail, crosscut Carcass, and a rip Tenon saw.

I have acquired and rehabbed a fair few old disston backsaws. I think the most I've paid was $15. Aside from making handles for my own entertainment the time spent on each has been about an hour including filing. They are excellent saws. I have never had the need to buy a new premium saw, but I cannot imagine one being 10 or 20 times better saws. For that matter I cannot imagine needing anything better than a vintage disston.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Norton View Post
    So I have been a bit smitten while watch Peter Seller's ! So I would like to enter into some further hand tool work. But I am in need of a tenon saw and would appreciate some suggestions that would not break the bank!
    Thanks!
    Tom, you will need to look in the 12" to 14" range.

The most versatile saw I own is the 14" Gramercy sash saw. This is a combination saw, that is, the 13 tpi teeth are filed rip with added fleam. It is a light saw, and is used for sawing tenon cheeks (for which it is reserved), but is equally at home sawing dovetails. This is not a cheap saw at $300, and so the question is what can you get to approximate this at an affordable price point?

If you were experienced in sharpening saws, I would suggest a 12" or 14" Disston or similar, which could be had for around $20. I have a couple that I have restored, and they are fine saws.

In new saws, which is what I recommend, Lee Valley sell the 14" Veritas Carcass saw, which is 12 tpi for $79. This one is probably the best bang for the buck. As with the Gramercy, it will do double duty.

Regards from Perth

Derek