Thread: Finishing QS white oak

Finishing QS white oak

Hi all - Iíve got some 16í quarter saw oak beams to install in a new bedroom and looking for finishing advice. The finish would be decorative only since the beams will be practically never touched. Iíve got very old antique pine floors that I finished with 7 coats of waterlox. So I think I need some color on the oak but not too dark or deep.

Was thinking of watco danish oil/varnish with a built in stain for color and some long term moisture protection and a bit of the finished look. Not sure if that will show off the grain enough or mute it. Iíve read/seen different approaches using fillers or stain or some kind of combo to make the grain pop - but itís left me confused and wondering if Iím overthinking it.

Any suggestions?

Dave, it's usually best to avoid any finish that has color added...the results can be very unpredictable. Use stain/dye to establish the general color and then top coat to seal and enhance with the product of your choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Personally, I wouldn't want to fill the grain on ceiling beams. The pore structure will give it some character and keep them from looking "glassy" or "plasticy" after you install them. I love the look of untinted finishes on QS white oak. The Danish Oil will give it a nice oiled natural look, which I prefer, while offering some protection for the wood surface.

TedP