Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're Old Men (Mostly) so Let's Discuss Weather.....

We're Old Men (Mostly) so Let's Discuss Weather.....

Isn't there a song with lyrics that say, "as long as old men and sit and talk about the weather?" That said, it's been very cold here. We're just lucky the snow didn't come with the cold. We might break freezing this weekend for the first time in a couple of weeks. Apparently we can't stop that cold air at the border with Canada and leave it with Rod where cold air belongs. Glad I am fat and have some insulation. There are a couple National Weather Service updates for some Creekers.

Major east coast winter storm is expected to bring snow, ice, rain, strong winds, and tidal flooding to coastal locations from the southeast U.S. to New England Wednesday into Thursday. Hazardous travel is likely.

Heavy snow and ice is expected from Florida to Maine today and tomorrow! Follow http://WEATHER.GOV to get the latest detailed forecast for your location. If you're under a warning, limit or avoid travel if you can!
    10:43 AM - Jan 3, 2018

Yes, they said Florida will get snow and ice.

Last edited by Rich Riddle; 01-03-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Sitting here waiting for the ice to build up on the heat pump compressor and its cage -- again! Freezing rain since some time last night, temp around 28 F. Need a service call, but lots of luck today/this week. When the ice builds up enough to hit the fan blades, we turn to ac until it melts clean (and inside temp drops to around 58-60 F) and then back to heat. Works, but it's supposed to be automatic and not require the cold air blowing in.

We are thinking of moving to Florida.

....... Wait! Oh, yeah.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

It may be hard to believe, but there are a lot of winters we don't get snow here in Lewiston, Idaho due to our elevation. In fact, you climb over 2,000' in elevation any way you leave town but it's a matter of how far you drive to do the climb. This winter and last winter we did have snow. Two weeks ago from Friday until Thursday we had over 6 inches of snow but the following Tuesday the temperature raised into the low 40ºF for a couple days and it was nearly all gone. Of course then the NWS issued flood warnings for our area.

Our temperatures have been running below freezing at night and in the high 20º's F to mid 30º's daily for over a week.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Our crews in North Dakota were shut down because its too cold to work outside. Steel in the equipment gets too brittle and it drastically reduces its pressure and load ratings. around -40 F.

been cold here too. 0ish at night. should warm up today though.

Im not even that old. I have embraced my grumpy old man though, just ask my wife.

Blog Entries
    The wooly bear caterpillars were a bit thicker of coat this year.

How do they know?

We had snow on Christmas Eve. Last week we also had flood warnings. My comment to the wife was one doesn't think about the effects of flooding when one lives in the hills, but then said it can still be a problem. The next day the power went out just before dinner. So we jumped in the car and figured we would have dinner in town and go to the movies while the workers fixed the lines. We only got a few miles toward town before traffic came to a stop. A hillside fell across the road. Some of the trees that came down with it took out the power. It was all back to normal by the next evening.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We’ve had record cold here the last few days. -25 on Monday morning. 6 outside right now with below zero temps again the next few nights. I’m a hvac/plumber guy so it’s been busy to say the least.

News report this morning kept saying it was warmer on Mars than it is in Minnesota lately. LOL

Yea we were at -27 here on the 31st. Only about 6 inches of snow on the ground, not enough to insulate septic systems. I have a lift station so I put a utility/drinker/de-icer API 500 Watt Auto Drinker De-Icer\tI Feeders Grain and Supply Inc. In the lift station, keeps the water 10-20 degrees above freezing. Put a new one in every winter, at $30 it's cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Isn't there a song with lyrics that say, "as long as old men and sit and talk about the weather?" That said, it's been very cold here. We're just lucky the snow didn't come with the cold. We might break freezing this weekend for the first time in a couple of weeks. Apparently we can't stop that cold air at the border with Canada and leave it with Rod where cold air belongs. Glad I am fat and have some insulation. There are a couple National Weather Service updates for some Creekers.

Major east coast winter storm is expected to bring snow, ice, rain, strong winds, and tidal flooding to coastal locations from the southeast U.S. to New England Wednesday into Thursday. Hazardous travel is likely.

Heavy snow and ice is expected from Florida to Maine today and tomorrow! Follow http://WEATHER.GOV to get the latest detailed forecast for your location. If you're under a warning, limit or avoid travel if you can!
    [COLOR=#697882][FONT=Helvetica][URL="https://twitter.com/NWS/status/948580599484289025"]10:43 AM
    Heading for -24C here by the end of the week.

Rich, I put up a sheet of plywood, if you stand in the right spot at your home you'll find I've blocked the wind for you.....Rod
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 01-12-2018 at 5:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

How do they know? jtk
    I can never get that one straight around here. Some people say its if they are more black it'll be bad winter, some say more brown, some say fatter, some say thinner... I have always wondered the same thing but I think if I were to honestly document every wooly bear I see in the fall I would likely see 10 black ones, 10 with lots of brown and a thin black stripe, 10 with a thick black stripe, ten fluffy ones, ten thin ones, and the winter will be whatever it turns out to be and I can pick the one to remember! lol.

Mark, when you see them with plane tickets to Fl or AZ, then you'll know.

I need a new indoor outdoor thermometer that is acurite I tried 2 that were off by 4 to 6 degrees according to 2 of my glass thermometers and one is was tested to be true.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I need a new indoor outdoor thermometer that is acurite I tried 2 that were off by 4 to 6 degrees according to 2 of my glass thermometers and one is was tested to be true.
    If you want to know the temperature, only look at one thermometer. If you want a debate, check them all.

If you ever see a display of thermometers check them. A lot of them will be within a degree or two of each other. There are usually a few outliers, sometimes off by as much as 10º or more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Been abnormally cold for early January, not record busting til this morning. I can dress for the cold we have. rarely below zero, although the wind chills are usually the bear. My darn rear differential on my backhoe froze up. so right now, I is under tarps with a heater blowing on the differential. Don't relish crawling under neath to pull the drain plug. Next tuesday, we are expecting to break freezing again. Possible 40's by this time next week. Chipping the ice off the water troughs is a pain. this morning the ice was three inches and it was clear yesterday afternoon when I filled it. Ticks ought to have died back with this cold. a few years ago, I don't think it got cold enough to kill the ticks. This cold with little snow cover and the ground will be frozen way down deep. Excavators have trouble some years until April because the ground is frozen down so deep. Even the big machines have trrouble digging through. Yesterday morning, I tried to pull a metal post with the front end loader on the tractor. It snapped off like a match stick. Too cold I guess. I burned some trash this morning. We burn anything with personal information including old client files. Got the fire going a little, and through some 3 x 5 x 10 pieces of oak from the saw mill into the fire. It was burning hot in no time. Got rid of two boxes of of old files. reduced totally to ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

How do they know?

We had snow on Christmas Eve. Last week we also had flood warnings. My comment to the wife was one doesn't think about the effects of flooding when one lives in the hills, but then said it can still be a problem. The next day the power went out just before dinner. So we jumped in the car and figured we would have dinner in town and go to the movies while the workers fixed the lines. We only got a few miles toward town before traffic came to a stop. A hillside fell across the road. Some of the trees that came down with it took out the power. It was all back to normal by the next evening.

jtk

Huh! Here in the far north of Washington it is in the 40s. No snow
    on christmas. You guys down south are getting all the cold and snow.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]