Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for red colored WOOD for cutting board

Looking for red colored WOOD for cutting board

What are some options for red colored wood for use in cutting boards?

Redwood will too soft.
    Bill D

I used a stripe of bloodwood (Brosimum rubescens) in the one I just made. Great color, doesn't fade with light.

Question What about mahogany?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    What are some options for red colored wood for use in cutting boards?
    Honduran Mahogany (the same we have here in Brazil) is a great "red wood" and I think it is food safe. Most of the furniture in our home were made from Mahogany as it is easy to work as well.

Bloodwood keeps it's color well with age and is deep red.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Most reddish woods I know turn brown with sunlight and air.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Bloodwood keeps it's color well with age and is deep red.

Mike
    I will give some of that a try.

This seems to have a decent list of potential toxicity:
    http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/

Both Honduras Mahogany and Bloodwood are questionable for food safety, according to that. Bloodwood will react to light eventually and darken.

You might consider food safe stain?
    http://chris-reilly.org/blog/food-safe-wood-stain/

Heartwood birch and heartwood maple are both reddish/orangey but they don't turn dark brown in light like cherry does.

I have used pauduk on some cutting boards and a few other projects. It has retained its red color so far. Long term I don't have any experience with yet. It does darken a bit with mineral oil and beeswax though just like all other woods with this finish.

So what ones are food safe? It seems that all of them have some irritant aspect to them.

So is the chance of a reaction to these woods when used in cutting boards so small, that it is not worth worrying about? I see walnut use all the time, without any issues.

1) Nobody is gonna have an allergic reaction from a cutting board.

2) Avoid any finishes labeled as "cutting board" or "salad bowl" finish. All finishes and stains, including the heavy duty polyurethane you would use to seal a floor are food safe once they cure.

The last time I checked nobody ever died from eating a cookie that feel on the hardwood floor.

3) All wood will go brownish eventually, bloodheart may age a bit better than padauk.

That was s what I thought. Any suggestions on gray color wood as well?

I had a freind make my wife and end cut walnut cutting board (he likes doing that, me, not so much). She is an Alabama fan, so I gave him some bloodwood and asked him to inlay the big "A". Beautiful when we got it. But I can't get my wife to use the other side. Its still red two years later. But stained dark with food stains.

I don't think I'd use it to make a whole cutting board. Its too hard. And, it will leak color, some. Its bloodwood!
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 01-07-2018 at 5:03 PM.