Thread: Carter Micro-Precision Guide

Carter Micro-Precision Guide

Carter Micro-Precision Guides provide precise control of the bandsaw blade using special Tefloy side support blocks. These hardened sintered steel blocks are vacuum impregnated with teflon material resulting in much lower friction and cooler running blades than with tool steel blocks. The teflon acts as a dry-film lubricant to reduce wear, lower friction, and increase useful life. Back support is provided by a double sealed ball bearing encased in a precision ground hardened steel wear ring. All Micro-Precision models feature vernier adjustment of the side blocks and complete flexibility of configuration. Each guide may be set up as either a right-hand or left-hand unit to ensure that the controls are always located in the most convenient position.

The other day at Sam Maloof's shop I noticed he was using this guide on his very large Aggazani bandsaw. It was guiding a 1/4" blade that he used all day long. He had it adjusted so the large back bearing spun all the time... Does anyone use or is familiar with this guide? It seems good for smaller blades on a large saw...it is not that pricey either
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,
    It looks like a nice set up. I wonder what measurable difference therer is betwen those blocks and "Cool Blocks". BTW, jus how did you happen to be at Mr. Maloof's shop anyway?
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro
    Mark,
    It looks like a nice set up. I wonder what measurable difference therer is betwen those blocks and "Cool Blocks". BTW, jus how did you happen to be at Mr. Maloof's shop anyway?
    He was having trouble with a woodworking dilema and he called me

It was actually part of a workshop attended by 5 Creekers and some others..

The side bearings look fine, but I can't understand why anybody would design a thrust bearing like that. (The standard Euro-guide is like this too.) There's a wiping contact between the back of the blade and the bearing. On my saw, which came with Euro guides, the side-face of the thrust bearing was quickly warn out by the wiping contact. I remodeled it so that I have a proper rolling contact, and the new thrust bearing has many many miles on it.

I would have sworn the blade Sam was using was more like 3/8 or 1/2...but it certainly looked small installed in that monster saw.

Mark,

Looking at the picture, it looks like it will fit the MM band saws too.

I'm going to try a set. I work mostly witn 1/4" blades and these look worth trying out.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    He was having trouble with a woodworking dilema and he called me

It was actually part of a workshop attended by 5 Creekers and some others..
    Mark,
    I wonder if this is what allowed him to run the light blade tension he was running..

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    I would have sworn the blade Sam was using was more like 3/8 or 1/2...but it certainly looked small installed in that monster saw.
    I thought it was 3/8", but Sam said it was 1/4" ....he could be wrong...he didn't even know the band of sawblade....here is a guy that is so into his work , he knows very little about his equipment....he doesn't measure and things come out precise and incredible....others are worried about thousanths of an inch.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    The side bearings look fine, but I can't understand why anybody would design a thrust bearing like that. (The standard Euro-guide is like this too.) There's a wiping contact between the back of the blade and the bearing. On my saw, which came with Euro guides, the side-face of the thrust bearing was quickly warn out by the wiping contact. I remodeled it so that I have a proper rolling contact, and the new thrust bearing has many many miles on it.
    The contact with the bearing is in this manner to provide more than a point of contact but two points of contact. Ideally there would be two bearings, but instead most manufacturers go with a single bearing on its side.

Thumbs up Good Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Does anyone use or is familiar with this guide? It seems good for smaller blades on a large saw...it is not that pricey either
    I use Carter MicroPrecision guides on my Oliver 192 18" band saw. I have been very happy with them. The MP series is well-suited for use with narrower blades which is what I primarily run on the Oliver. Carter has been making guides for 75 years. I think they have a pretty good handle on how to make good guides.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Carter will also custom fit a guide setup to your saw for no extra charge. once my bank account recovers from buying my 20" bandsaw, I plan to upgrade to their system since they are pretty nice. they also have a narrow blade guide system which is interchangeable with their general purpose system, then you can run 1/16" blades