Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid looking, or go with it?

Absolutely. I jumped in head first. I'm hard headed and learn by making mistakes and doing it over 20 times though.

Here is the bottom after removing the stringers and cleaning the glue up with the plane.
    p2713996181-4.jpg

The stringers cleaned up and larger holes drilled to allow for movement. I also stained them with a darker color for contrast. As mentioned I'm going to go with the same sized smaller diameter stainless screws and some 1" stainless fender washers. This should allow a great deal of movement but still provide some support for the two slabs.
    p2713996196-4.jpg
    p2713996220-4.jpg

Sneak peek at the finished top
    p2713996188-4.jpg

Lastly some what it will look like pictures before I pulled it back in to remove the glued on stringers. Doh!
    p2713996157-3.jpg
    p2713996154-3.jpg
    p2713996153-4.jpg
    p2713996158-4.jpg

I think it will look great once I'm done with the bottom and have it all put together. I really like the darker cross braces for contrast but also to help take the focus off them a little bit when upright. I'm going to put another coat or two of thinned clear on the bottom and then call it done.

Thanks for any insight or comments as the ones provided earlier helped me correct for wood movement before calling it done.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-17-2018 at 6:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Looking good ...I got a piece left from a job I like to do something special with...
    Jack, that was MADE for shipping!! ...And it would be magnificently special if you shipped it to me?

Greg, yours looks special too, but I'm betting you won't ship it to me either.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-17-2018 at 6:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    That was MADE for shipping!! ...And it would be magnificently special if you shipped it to me?
    Ha. If someone is just giving away walnut slabs I'll take 3 or 4 more please.

Looking good Gregg. Good call on the darker supports.

If it were me, I probably would have filled the voids with epoxy top and bottom. Flattens it out and strengthens it up.

Looks great. Good decision!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Truly a lovely table. Nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Looking good Gregg. Good call on the darker supports. If it were me, I probably would have filled the voids with epoxy top and bottom. Flattens it out and strengthens it up.
    thanks guys. I thought about epoxy in the cracks but decided I liked the open look. I did pour lots of poly down It 15 Times while doing the top. It is pretty well locked together with polyurethane running all the way through and the cross supports providing extra strength. But I get what you are saying. </p>
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-17-2018 at 8:50 PM.