Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid looking, or go with it?

My initial thought was to cut it off and make a small serving plate or shallow bowl out of it to be used on the table itself. Possibly a tray to hold TV remotes. I like Steve's coaster idea as well.

You could always install a square column in the room so you could push the table up against it...

Joking aside, I would trim the long board flush. I like the coaster or bowl idea.

Blog Entries
    I'd be struggling with the same decisions on that wood. Beautiful figuring!
    I have a couple of great pieces of wood that are too nice for me to make any kind of decision.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps turn it into a small lazy susan for the table top.

Will take some work to get the ends up to the same level of finish as the top, and then I’ll need to sand and refinish everything one final time to blend the finishes, but I think it turned out ok. Gave it some sanding to try to look a little more natural like the sides.

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701674985-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701674913-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701676922-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701676143-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701936878-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-06-2018 at 3:43 PM.

You work fast. I would have stared at it for couple weeks before hacking the odd part off.
    Looks good.

Greg, I think that ultimately, this was a good decision and leaves you with a final result that will be pleasing to the eye.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys. I agree. Little more work and time to build the end finish up to the same level, but will be good in the end. I still have a few coats to go on the top to finish sealing up some of the little pores and low spots but it’s getting there. Almost has the epoxy look now but it’s just lots of layers of satin poly with sanding in between.

On second thought, I think you should leave it. I liked it better.

JUST KIDDING! Enjoy the beautiful wood: table, coasters, blue tape, and all!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    On second thought, I think you should leave it. I liked it better.

JUST KIDDING! Enjoy the beautiful wood: table, coasters, blue tape, and all!

ha! Now where did I put that big bottle of super glue!

Blog Entries
    Looking good ...I got a piece left from a job I like to do something special with...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Looking good ...I got a piece left from a job I like to do something special with...
    Really nice. Nice shop too. Looks like a commercial shop as compared to my home garage shop.

please share are what you make as I’d love to see pictures.

Looking at the picture of the under side of the table, a little concerned if you've allowed for seasonal wood movement in your cross pieces. Can the outer screws travel within your cross braces as the wood moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Haddix View Post
    Looking at the picture of the under side of the table, a little concerned if you've allowed for seasonal wood movement in your cross pieces. Can the outer screws travel within your cross braces as the wood moves?
    Unfortunately, I didn't. I glued and screwed the cross braces to the bottom. Doh!!!

But, thanks to tips early on in this thread I went back and managed to get the cross braces off. I cleaned them up and planed off the glue residue on the bottom of the table. Gave it a quick sanding and put on a coat of finish now that the top is done. In the mean time, I also jointed, planed and cleaned up all of the cross braces. To keep the existing holes in use, I enlarged the screw holes to 1/2" holes. This is a huge difference over what was initially a tiny 1/8" or less screw hole sized hole. I didn't have the time or means to easily put a true slot in, but with my industrial look I decided visible screws wouldn't be the end of the world. I plan to use stainless screws with 1" washers in each hole. This should allow for a ton of movement as needed but still add strength to the table.

I also ended up changing my approach to the top. I did away with the wet epoxy look in favor of a more mat natural look. Ended up taking me about 15 hand rubbed coats of extremely thinned poly/mineral spirits mix, but the resulting finish is smooth as glass and free of any bubbles or marks. Very happy with the top.

I'm uploading a few photo's to share in a second.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-17-2018 at 5:54 PM.

Greg, did you forget to think when you build this too? Lol. I know I sometimes forget the basics when I’m excited to get working on something.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the revised top.