Thread: Cross Grain Movement - Breadboard Ends

Cross Grain Movement - Breadboard Ends

Don't believe wood moves?

I was baking this morning and when I pulled out the board I use for rolling out dough I was a bit startled to see just how much the wood had moved. If I am feeling particularly industrious when doing breadboard ends I don't run the mortise all the way to the end ... hence in the photo with dramatic shrinkage the mortise is not visible. I can assure you these were flush like the second photo just a month or so ago.

The wood in the board showing shrinkage was I believe Honey locust ... I had a local sawmill cut a number of cants for a specific project and these pieces were around so I used them. I can see the breadboard end is quarter sawn though likely the rest are a mix of flatsawn and quartersawn. Locust around here doesn't grow terribly large and getting the cants was a real chore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 01-06-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Looks mighty good. Next time give those ends a little more "shortening"

The baked bread looks I like that kind of a rustic roll. Is the board now thicker in the middle or did it cup and pull the ends in?
    Im trying to wrap my mind around where that wood went
    Aj

I like to attach the ends Greene & Greene style. with the screws parallel to the top. I feel it gives me more meat for the screws to grab, even if it is endgrain. Is suppose I could insert a plug for the screw to bite into.

That movement from the field boards isn’t all that hard to believe.

I'll be very happy to "shorten" the very craftsman like subjects in the third photo. No charge. Yum!!!!!

And yea...wood can move a surprising amount seasonally, especially with some species.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Looks mighty good. Next time give those ends a little more "shortening"
    And when the board reverses the shrinkage?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    The baked bread looks I like that kind of a rustic roll. Is the board now thicker in the middle or did it cup and pull the ends in?
    Im trying to wrap my mind around where that wood went
    I suspect the entire breadboard shrinks in all dimensions ... least of course in length. What I should do is weigh it in the winter and summer to see just how much moisture is involved with the shrinkage/expansion.

The bread is from a recipe in "The Perfect Loaf" by Sam Fromartz. It is a typical French Parisian sourdough baguette. It is all low protein all-purpose flour ... barely 1% of whole wheat. The dough takes two days of aging (one for the levain another for the dough) ... but the shaping and baking are easy.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Well, at least you know you are building them correctly.

Dan

I'm not believing it that's too much for such a small board. It's gotta be there somewhere.
    Im getting some bread from the bakery tomorrow to help me figure this out.
    Aj