Thread: Some type of burl

Some type of burl

One of my woodturning buddies gave me a burl to turn. . Looked and turned a lot like elm burl. I centered it between centers, trimmed away as much of the non burl wood as I could with my electric chainsaw. Turned the exterior, reversed it and tighted it into a chuck. I set up my coring system and remove enough of the interior to turn a smaller bowl. Cut the inside with my bowl gouge. Finished with “home brew danish oil. It measures about 11” across and 6” wide by 4” deep. It is about 5/16” thick.

C6BA2292-B029-4D0A-8175-9AD5393C2B5B.jpg B06F02CD-A86E-49BC-9052-0530E7F725BD.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Bergstrom; 01-07-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob - I was going to say you've got your hands on some Big Leaf Maple (BLM), but you had some hints that it might be from South America. I've included a couple of pics of one of my BLM bowls that I think has the same color/character as yours. I'll be watching to see other ideas!
    Mike
    035.jpg036.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    Bob - I was going to say you've got your hands on some Big Leaf Maple (BLM), but you had some hints that it might be from South America. I've included a couple of pics of one of my BLM bowls that I think has the same color/character as yours. I'll be watching to see other ideas!
    Mike
    035.jpg036.jpg

I just looked at one of my older elm burls and it does look like a dead ringer for the elm. It crubbled just like elm burl, so I pretty sure it is elm. I’ve turned big leaf burl. Beautiful wood. Much lighter in color than elm.
    Last edited by Bob Bergstrom; 01-07-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I just looked at one of my older elm burls and it does look like a dead ringer for the elm. It crubbled just like elm burl, so I pretty sure it is elm. I’ve turned big leaf burl. Beautiful wood. Much lighter in color than elm.
    Even if a burl, if it's elm you should see signs of the wavy bands of latewood pores with a low power magnifier (10x). Or sometimes from 3' away with elm!

elm.jpg

JKJ

Bob, I have no idea what type of burl it is, but it sure turned into a beautiful bowl. I couldn't get a good look at the set-up you have, to level out the burl to make it more turnable. Could you get a couple of pics of it for me? I'm pretty sure I know what you did, but a couple of pics would remove any doubt of being correct in my thinking. Thanks.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Bob, I have no idea what type of burl it is, but it sure turned into a beautiful bowl. I couldn't get a good look at the set-up you have, to level out the burl to make it more turnable. Could you get a couple of pics of it for me? I'm pretty sure I know what you did, but a couple of pics would remove any doubt of being correct in my thinking. Thanks.
    Len

Len I just used a faceplate and drilled out 2 of the holes to hold 3/8” bolts. I’ve tried three, but they really need a flat surface to seat well. Using 2, I usually press the blank into the the bolt points to mark it, remove it and drill two holes deeper through the bark. On a half round I usually line them up with the grain at the highest point on the bark side of the blank. Here’s a couple pics.

94D91353-2F3A-4CB6-A61B-60BDAE8CFDC4.jpg AD52BBFA-EC82-4A5E-990A-1FB7F1D5D891.jpg

Today I mounted the piece I cored from the bigger one. Pretty easy compared to the other. I left it a little thicker so more spines are protruding at the rim. It’s about 6” x 4”. Needs a second coat of oil.
    AA4B907C-ABBA-41EB-A593-831D69B63A66.jpg 1B831AA3-3FBB-4A65-BC99-41D15C054C03.jpg
    Here they are side by side.
    2A5183C7-A726-452F-8732-A8F14522420F.jpg

Makes me think of the "big bang", never seen anything like it. Deserves some special lighting.

Bob, thanks for the pics and quick reply to my inquiry,it is being done as I suspected. The only thing that I never thought of, was using nuts to lock the shim bolts in place. What I had thought you would have done, was to drill and tap the faceplate. The two bowls you got out of this burl, are absolutely amazing looking. Both of them are beautiful, it would be a shame to break up the set.
    Len

Stunning burl pieces and your execution is top shelf Bob.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

11. Wow........what a couple of beauties! And you did a super nice job on the turning. This is eye candy for sure, and makes one hope they can come across something as nice as this some time or another. Bravo, Bob!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My money is on Ambrosia burl--look it up on google--is so a very special and expensive burl in very short supply--I,ve turned several over the years but not that big. I think it is the burl of the Comphor tree--Cimonnomiom genus. Grows in the SE Asia area--don't give this one to your MIL.