Thread: Pros and Cons of a Laguna 18BX vs 14BX or 14SUV

Pros and Cons of a Laguna 18BX vs 14BX or 14SUV

I am considering the purchase of a Laguna 18BX bandsaw but prior to doing so would appreciate input on the pro's & con's of a larger vs smaller machine.

Regular bandsaw tasks will consist of a variety of general woodworking activities including crafts, furniture (more of the primitive variety and not necessarily fine woodworking) and for creating other items and general wood uses.

I would also like to do occasional resawing and have an old one-room school (unfortunately beyond economically feasible renovation) that has an addition that was used for a barn/farm building with a variety of 2"x 4"-10" and other lumber that I would like to re-purpose, some of which I would like to resaw into thinner stock. Additionally I have a 103 acre tree farm and have plans to at some point acquire a portable sawmill (EZ Boardwalk Jr, smaller Woodmizer or similar) to make use of the trees that occasionally fall or die and to mill & dry the lumber for a variety of projects (including creating items for sale), and while the timber will be processed into a multitude of sizes, I anticipate the need to still do occasional resawing to further process some of these boards. I may also do some small-scale tinkering around with the shop bandsaw in regard to smaller (easy to handle 1-2 ft long, less than 12" diameter) log sections for a few project boards and 'cookies' or such. Much of my focus is on remaining within the realistic capabilities of my equipment and any heavier log work would be with the portable sawmill. I am not interested in anything larger than a 18" bandsaw or those much over the $2,000 price point.

I have looked at a variety of saws in the 14" range (Laguna, Jet, Rikon) and while I was originally focusing on that group, upon having the opportunity to view the 18BX (as well as the 18" Jet) and comparing the different saws side-by-side, I began to lean toward the 18BX.

On the plus side, the Laguna 18BX offers a much longer blade - thus lasting longer between sharpening, the option for a wider blade and less overall stress on the blade due to the larger diameter wheels. The table size and fence is also considerably larger on the 18" vs the 14", and additional horsepower comes with the 18". The 18" is also a substantially more beefy machine in all areas and I would be less likely to ever push the upper limits of it's capabilities in comparison to the 14", particularly when utilized for resaw use. While I may be (slightly) open to other manufactures, I very much appreciate the design and features (guide system, brake, etc.) and overall quality of the Laguna.

On the concerning side is that the 18" is a lot more machine in comparison to the 14". While each saw can run similar smaller width blades, I was wondering how much of a hindrance (if any) the larger machine would be for everyday use or in smaller projects and cutting. I realize that bigger isn't always better (but can be nice when you need it), and want to look at the intricacies and possible advantages of a smaller over a larger machine too - or whether the larger machine can perform satisfactorily.

For further background, I am retired from the fire service and looking for something to fill my free time and to possibly supplement our income with products sold at an active local craft establishment (basically we would set-up / restock our display space and they handle everything else) or to possibly individually market and sell select items elsewhere. I have a 30' x 40' x 10'h workshop (that also houses my tractor & pick-up), a radial arm saw (crosscutting / miter work), table saw (ripping and such), router & table, scroll saw, and well as a variety of hand and portable power tools. I also have an older 10" Craftsman bandsaw that I acquired when my father passed away (I believe he may have bought it at a yard sale or such), but the tires are toast and while the motor runs, I don't know how good of an overall machine it is, and have been reluctant to replace and invest in the three tires that would be required - thinking it could be better to just upgrade to a new machine (Rikon 10" - $250) for small tasks if I would decide to go that route.

Any input would be appreciated and while I am feeling pretty confident in the direction I am leaning, before shelling out a couple thousand dollars, I'd like to hear and learn all I can.

In a nutshell, are there disadvantages in having an 18" saw in comparison to a 14"?

It's sounds like you have a good understanding of the differences between the saws. I don't see any disadvantage to an 18" saw other than the fact that it takes up slightly more floor space. That said, I have a friend who loves his 14 SUV and uses it for everything from cutting turning blanks and resawing to cutting intricate curved pieces.

Sounds like you might as well go for the 18" model. I have the 1412 and do a lot of bowl blank production and resawing and would appreciate a larger table, but it does a great job with those tasks. I've never had a need for more power or vertical capacity.

I just ordered the 18bx recently. Have not received it yet, or seen one in person, but I went with it over the 14bx out of fear of needing (or just wanting) to upgrade the 14 down the road. I have had a budget 14" bandsaw in the past, and always seemed to require more throat depth than I had. The larger table seems like a feature that will be constantly appreciated as well.

I have not been woodworking long, but I would like to keep from having to upgrade the same tool more than once. I knew I needed a bandsaw, and the price difference between the two (especially with the 10% off deal right now) was too close for me to order the smaller machine. Have never regretted getting the more capable machine. Much more expensive to buy one now, and the other in a few years.

I have a 17" and it's a workhorse, however i'd love to have a smaller 14" one for finer work (more so I don't have to keep switching out the blade). Not sure if that helps your decision, but i'd get the 18" and look for an old used 14" Delta which can be found for $200-400 on CL
    Owner - Christopher and Co. Woodcraft and Design

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stephenson View Post
    I have a 17" and it's a workhorse, however i'd love to have a smaller 14" one for finer work (more so I don't have to keep switching out the blade). Not sure if that helps your decision, but i'd get the 18" and look for an old used 14" Delta which can be found for $200-400 on CL
    This absolutely. I have a 14 inch and 20 inch, and use both frequently. that being said, I would love to add an 18 inch to the fleet...one can never have too many band saws within reason.

The price point was (and remains) a focus point in my final choice and my finances are not unlimited. At the same time though, quality and versatility walks hand in hand with the cost and buying a saw that won't adequately fill my needs serves no useful purpose. From concept (I originally considered the 14" Rikon) to where I am presently leaning (Laguna 18BX), I have already more than doubled my initial cost estimate. Fortunately I have a chief financial officer (and loving wife) that is being quite supportive.

I also have additional smaller items on my wish list (bench sander, drill press, etc.), as well as the desire to acquire a portable sawmill ($$$), helical head planer ($$) and a jointer ($), so more than one band saw is pretty much out of the question at this point - however I can envision a smaller 10" Rikon as filling a void between my scroll saw and the 18BX.

I appreciate the feedback and it has been quite helpful in the path I am presently wandering.

Have you thought about a used saw? You could pick up an old 20" delta or powermatic and get it running great for about half what that 18bx costs.

I have browsed Craigslist and other sources in search of alternatives but the options have been few and far between.

Other than an occasional yard sale item or special deal, we generally stick with buying new and this is particularly true with big-ticket items where we look at it as an investment and once purchased, it is around until the end of it's life. Call me scared, but we generally like the security of avoiding the uncertainty with previously used items.

Still though, there are indeed quality items (or easily repairable equipment) to be found and there are definitely bargains to be picked. Sadly, when it comes to the true goodies, I typically find myself viewing someone's awesome find and wishing that I had been the one to find it.

At this point in time and with the bandsaw (18BX), I am finding myself pretty much locked into a very narrow field of view and the 'investment' perspective is becoming central to the issue. Finding a great 14" saw at a great price though would certainly catch my attention and is something that could have the possibility of finding it's way into the shop as an addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Tripp View Post
    I have browsed Craigslist and other sources in search of alternatives but the options have been few and far between.

Other than an occasional yard sale item or special deal, we generally stick with buying new and this is particularly true with big-ticket items where we look at it as an investment and once purchased, it is around until the end of it's life. Call me scared, but we generally like the security of avoiding the uncertainty with previously used items.

Still though, there are indeed quality items (or easily repairable equipment) to be found and there are definitely bargains to be picked. Sadly, when it comes to the true goodies, I typically find myself viewing someone's awesome find and wishing that I had been the one to find it.

At this point in time and with the bandsaw (18BX), I am finding myself pretty much locked into a very narrow field of view and the 'investment' perspective is becoming central to the issue. Finding a great 14" saw at a great price though would certainly catch my attention and is something that could have the possibility of finding it's way into the shop as an addition.
    New can make a lot of sense. I am thinking of buying a 15 inch planer.

Used and 15 year old planer near my house on Craigslist for a grand...or $1200 through grizzly. Worth an Extra $200 for a new machine...yeah. At times, buying new can really make sense. My best deals are word of mouth through other wood workers.

The Laguna 18BX bandsaw is my final choice.

Wood Werks in Columbus is having their 2018 Winter Expo with a multitude of demos and displays this weekend, along with discounts of 10% off machines, 15% off accessories and 20% off lumber and turning blocks, so my Chief Financial Officer (wifey) and I made the 80 mile trip and purchased the saw. In addition to the 10% savings, I didn't have to pay the standard $75.00 delivery charge that purchasing from other dealers would have added, so that made the saw the cheapest I have ever found it. Next comes unloading and assembly but for convenience I can back my truck to the spot I will be placing the saw, making things go much easier.

'The Wood Working Shows' is also in Columbus at the State Fairgrounds this weekend and thus provided the opportunity to visit both events in one day. I don't think we were the only ones to take advantage of the timing of the events and Wood Werks parking lot was overflowing with parking extending into the snow-covered berm along the road and wherever people could fit their vehicles. Interestingly they received a delivery of Jet equipment today and they had to offload the truck some distance away, making it necessary to make several trips up and down the road with the forklift to ferry the equipment in.

'The Wood Working Shows' was nice and gave us the opportunity to see Alex Snodgrass in person with his bandsaw clinic and additionally to speak with him afterward, as well as to speak with his father and meet Alex's wife. They are a class act and a knowledge base that is very much worth seeing in person.

Thank you to everyone that posted and the insight was quite helpful.

Art, congratulations on the new saw. I would be interested to hear your opinion about it after you have had time to put it through its paces

Quote Originally Posted by Art Tripp View Post
    The Laguna 18BX bandsaw is my final choice.

Wood Werks in Columbus is having their 2018 Winter Expo with a multitude of demos and displays this weekend, along with discounts of 10% off machines, 15% off accessories and 20% off lumber and turning blocks, so my Chief Financial Officer (wifey) and I made the 80 mile trip and purchased the saw. In addition to the 10% savings, I didn't have to pay the standard $75.00 delivery charge that purchasing from other dealers would have added, so that made the saw the cheapest I have ever found it. Next comes unloading and assembly but for convenience I can back my truck to the spot I will be placing the saw, making things go much easier.

'The Wood Working Shows' is also in Columbus at the State Fairgrounds this weekend and thus provided the opportunity to visit both events in one day. I don't think we were the only ones to take advantage of the timing of the events and Wood Werks parking lot was overflowing with parking extending into the snow-covered berm along the road and wherever people could fit their vehicles. Interestingly they received a delivery of Jet equipment today and they had to offload the truck some distance away, making it necessary to make several trips up and down the road with the forklift to ferry the equipment in.

'The Wood Working Shows' was nice and gave us the opportunity to see Alex Snodgrass in person with his bandsaw clinic and additionally to speak with him afterward, as well as to speak with his father and meet Alex's wife. They are a class act and a knowledge base that is very much worth seeing in person.

Thank you to everyone that posted and the insight was quite helpful.
    Hi Art,

Now that you're half a year into your purchase, how are you enjoying it? Do you ever feel like the the 14BX would have been a better option or are you loving the 18?

In a nutshell, I truly love the 18BX and haven't looked back since placing it in my shop. In my outings, I have passed by various 14" saws and in comparison I haven't seen anything that has caused any regret in going bigger.The saw was well packaged and unloading went very good from the back of my pick-up with just my son and myself and with our wives on stand-by and there to pull packing material away as needed, so in that regard the added size wasn't an issue. Set-up went well and was simple enough. In complete openness, I found one minor problem in which the lower guides seemed to be just a little off and upon closer inspection I found a spot of weld-splatter between the machine and the block holding the guides, but this was easily remedied by using a Dremel tool sanding drum to make it smooth and flat.I have come to truly appreciate the larger table & higher cutting capacity, horsepower and smoothness as well as the overall size and mass of the machine which creates a quite stable platform for working. The ceramic guides are great, the blade brake is a super feature to have, the fence system works well and dust ports on the same side of the machine are a plus. Adjustments are easy enough to do and while I was wondering if a longer blade could have any disadvantages, I have only found satisfaction with each use. With the arrival of summertime and the installation of a larger vegetable garden as well as general tree-farm tasks and other projects, my active woodworking has unfortunately taken a temporary step-back so my current usage has been a bit limited. Whenever the need for a bandsaw arises though, a quick tension of the blade and flip of the switch makes me truly appreciate having this great resource available whenever needed.At the present I have decided against doing any cutting or resaw work with fresh-cut timber, primarily due to the moisture it will cause through the machine and the clean-up afterward, though there may still come a point in which I could venture there. I have also found that on the small side, the 1/4" blade has been performing each of the tasks I have needed done so haven't found the need to venture any smaller in my cutting.While each person's woodworking needs can be different and individual preferences can vary, my personal recommendation would be that when deciding between a 14" and 18" machine, choosing larger can have many more advantages over going smaller, and the Laguna 18BX has been a great machine in my experience.

Thanks for updating this thread, Art. I'm a little surprised that I've found very few reviews of this saw. Nice to know how happy you are with it. It's at the top of my Christmas list. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck.