Thread: Wenge Question

Blog Entries

Wenge Question

Hi,

I'm having a hard time finding photos that convince me wenge has a strong grain pattern. I'm picturing doing something where I would make a diamond shape out of four pieces (think inlay). Would wenge be a poor choice? I'd like the eye to pick up that it's four pieces vs 1.

The wenge I’ve used has a subtle, and very straight grain. For instance I’ve used it to make a few picture frames and the grain almost lines up at the miters.

I’d say it’s a poor choice for a quad matches inlay.

Blog Entries
    Okay, that's what I was picturing. Thanks!

Wenge has a strong grain pattern. Think red oak, but completely different colors. The pores in wenge are the color of milk chocolate. The rest is the color of dark chocolate. If the wenge is rift sawn, it will make a striking diamond pattern.

I made a set of end tables with a 4 piece match on the tops. Looked really nice. Unfortunately no pics.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I've used a fair amount of wenge veneer. The stuff I use (I think it's quarter sawn) is pretty "flat", that is, it does not have much of a visible grain pattern. I use it when I want a black background and don't want to use dyed black veneer.

Mike

[Here's a piece with a background of wenge in a radial match.]
    Roses04.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-09-2018 at 4:43 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I made the Train case below out of Wenge. The guy it was made for has not finished it yet, so I do not have any pics better than this yet. I used shorts and not good quality Wenge because he preferred to old look. The back of the case was a cheaper veneer I had kicking around.

WENGE.jpg

NAR Case.jpg

Wenge has a very strong grain pattern with a water based finish. With oil it all goes uniform dark. I happen to like oil, but water might be more suitable for your use.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Wenge has a very strong grain pattern with a water based finish. With oil it all goes uniform dark. I happen to like oil, but water might be more suitable for your use.
    I'm not sure that's always true, Wade. The picture I posted earlier has a water based finish on it and you can't see much grain pattern.

Here in CA we can't use anything other than water based finishes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In my experience Wenge grain varies depending on how it's cut and finished.

I would recommend getting a small plank from a hardwood retailer (not Woodcraft or Rockler, their prices tend to be at the top), saw it a few ways and test a couple potential finishes.

I think it looks beautiful myself, especially when contrasted with another wood such as in the picture Mike posted. Do be careful when working with it - it can produce some wicked splinters.

Andrew

Here are some pic's of a Wenge and Jatoba Blanket chest I made for wife about 10-12 years ago.
    Wenge finishes quite nicely, but working with it can be painful. It is the only wood I wore gloves with while working it. It cuts to a vary sharp edge produces these barbs, hairlike, "chips" that come off. They hurt! An actual splinter will have you cussing a blue streak to remove.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...unk&highlight=
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Wenge on the top of this jewelry box has nice grain.
    DSC04315.jpg