Thread: Maybe a weird question about Bench Dogs

Maybe a weird question about Bench Dogs

I'm getting to the point of wanting a new bench top / cutoff table behind the table saw. I'm getting tired of my old 3 layer MDF glued together top because it doesn't have any sort of bench dogs or anything and it seems to have gotten out of flat over the years. OK - here's the question. I don't really have a great way to make the dog holes really accurately so I can use it sort of like a muti function table like Festool has out there. This has become an issue because I recently got a DF700 Domino and find it's time consuming to clamp the boards down constantly to make the domino cuts. Accurately spaced dogs seem like it would be nice thing to have. Why couldn't I use my Domino to make 14 mm Domino holes as my dog holes and just make stops using the dominos attached to small boards (or even just the dominos - but that might prove difficult to remove them easily). I can even envision using steel stock that is slightly smaller than 14mm to make camp downs if I can get them to fit right. I know I can use the Domino to make the hole grid very straight and accurate. Think it would work? I might could even make the x pattern dog holes like I've seen somewhere. Planning on making the bench out of 2 inch oak.

I usually only assemble smaller projects on this table but I just need it more to make my domino cuts on there.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 01-09-2018 at 2:57 PM.

I know I've seen a few places selling bench dog templates for laying out your holes-- or if you know of (or can find) someone with a CNC machine, it'd take a fairly minimal amount of work to whip out a quick template.

Regarding the rest of your points, I apologize as I don't have much to chime in with or add to the discussion.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Rick, I myself have been more and more embracing the 96mm hole pattern that Festool has made very popular because it's so versatile and when done right, can be a great aid in keeping things square. It's also a nice way to provide the support you want for using your Domino...that was actually the impetus for putting "hats" on a couple of Parf Dogs since I recently acquired a Domino, my self. Regardless of the spacing you use for your dog holes, it's not hard to do it yourself using a simple jig and a router with a guide collar and an appropriate bit. I recently did that myself.

IMG_1647.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rick, you may want to try a sheet of pegboard, cut to the size of your bench, as an accurate way to layout the hole positions. Just put a circle around the pegboard holes you want to use and ignore the others. Then use a punch the size of the pegboard holes to mark center.

I used pegboard and a special router base for my plunge router. Did not take too long and was surprisingly accurate. I made squaring jigs that go into the holes and my squares cannot find any inaccuracy.

Blog Entries
    My drill bits are all imperial, not metric.
    I don't thing Lowes and Home Depot have metric tools.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    My drill bits are all imperial, not metric.
    I don't thing Lowes and Home Depot have metric tools.
    I so rarely buy tools from those places. LOL That said, while I've started to buy metric tooling (because I've converted to working in metric any time I can and it's wonderful), for boring dog holes, I'm glad I chose to use the router as I showed above. The holes are super clean on the top and have minimal trashiness on the bottom and that's only because the 20mm bit I was using was "a proverbial hair" too short to fully clear through.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here is a witty thread by Chris Schwarz on the subject
    The 6 Personalities of Workbench Builders | Lost Art Press
    I havent figured out which one I am yet
    Tom