Thread: Router Table Sub-Fences - What Material

Router Table Sub-Fences - What Material

What do you use for sub-fences on your router table? I have so melamine board but discovered it is not flat. I also have some MDF but it is not faced with laminate, would it be slippery enough or would it be slippery enough if I applied some poly. Water based would raise the surface so It would have to solvent borne.

Another alternative would be Baltic Birch?

Suggestions?
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-09-2018 at 5:30 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

If you've got MDF, and don't want the hassle (and expense) of laminating it with Formica or some similar veneer material, you can always just wax it or give it a couple coats of shellac or poly to provide a smooth, low-friction surface. I do this for the zero-clearance inserts that I make for my tablesaw--I start with 1/2" MDO or MDF, spray paint that a bright day-glow orange, and then spray on a layer of poly for durability. It does wear eventually, but the method is easy enough to repair (sand lightly and reapply the top coats) or cheap enough that I don't mind replacing.

In my experience water based poly doesn't raise the surface of MDF. I have two 4' x 8' MDF tables in my shop with water based poly on them.

When I need a sub-fence I usually just grab whatever piece of scrap MDF is handy. If it gets dinged up or rough I grab another scrap.

For reasons of weight, I would use 2 layers of MDF glued together with a solid wood edge. Shellac the whole thing and go to work. One layer of 3/4" thick material would sag under the weight of a router; commercial router top makers use a similar set-up with laminate on both top and bottom.
    The router guru, Pat Warner (RIP) illustrated a similar material in making a router table and was OK with it.