Thread: Saw Bench - Photos

Blog Entries

Saw Bench - Photos

Hi all,

I received a PM requesting photos of my saw bench, the photos in my thread dedicated to building the bench were all hosted on a website which no longer allows one to post them to message boards for free.

So, these are hosted on my website, which I already pay for.

Most of what I've built for workshop fixtures are borrowed and modified to suit my purpose. If anyone decides to build a bench similar to this one, I suggest make the base a little heavier and feet a little wider. I'd also make this shorter because I don't need the length with Japanese saws.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice bench. I thought it was a mortise-chopping bench

Nice chair back there.Too bad you didn't take SMC on the journey of iteration on that one. There's a lot of learning ala Michael Fortune in that design. I say that not to imply design similarity, but your process and careful thinking in making the process economical and repeatable. It's been a treat.

Not sure what is more impressive, the bench and chair, or the carpeted shop! Very spiffy!

Brian, your shop furniture is clearly built to a standard of fine home furniture. That would look just as nice as a convenient bench anywhere in the home. Nicely done, as usual.

Not for comparison, whatsoever, but I built this design.
    31A6DD08-4568-4B01-B334-7F43C2717034.jpg

My only regret is that I did not make the center opening wide enough to accept clamps. And the way this is designed, it would not be easy to increase the gap at this point. So since this picture was taken, I have resorted to a few dog holes.

Brian,

+1 on what was said above. Beautiful work, and very functional as well. Super project!

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Nice bench. I thought it was a mortise-chopping bench

Nice chair back there.Too bad you didn't take SMC on the journey of iteration on that one. There's a lot of learning ala Michael Fortune in that design. I say that not to imply design similarity, but your process and careful thinking in making the process economical and repeatable. It's been a treat.
    Most often it is I'm glad you have enjoyed following along with it! I have been debating how much I will release, I do plan to put out some information but of course in a blog post. It's been a long process, as you know, so I've been dying to tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Not sure what is more impressive, the bench and chair, or the carpeted shop! Very spiffy!
    Thanks Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Brian, your shop furniture is clearly built to a standard of fine home furniture. That would look just as nice as a convenient bench anywhere in the home. Nicely done, as usual.

Not for comparison, whatsoever, but I built this design.
    31A6DD08-4568-4B01-B334-7F43C2717034.jpg

My only regret is that I did not make the center opening wide enough to accept clamps. And the way this is designed, it would not be easy to increase the gap at this point. So since this picture was taken, I have resorted to a few dog holes.
    Thanks Phil! I think that bench looks better than it really is, it's plentiful with warts. Like most things it takes an iteration or two before you really iron out everything that you like and dislike. I know for some of the things that seem very simple they can often take more still.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-10-2018 at 9:32 PM.

Thanks for posting Brian! Your carpet is still looking good

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Good looking bench, but how thick are the tops? Heavy little devil? You say that it could use a wider base - could that be due to being used on a carpeted floor or is it just a little unstable anyway? The feet look to be just about as wide as the top. I like the through M&T on the top connection as I have been working on some of those in 2-1/2" material lately. Plus 1 on more chair info please. That is a beauty.
    David

That anvil is awesome, as is the Shoji work. I love the character in the panel behind the anvil.

That bench is fantastic. I'd be afraid to use it for fear of marring it if the saw slipped or my alignment was off.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Show off

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fellas!

David, yes it could be slightly wider. I'm sure I opted not to do that because I did not want the feet wider than the top. Carpet likely making it worse. The top is 8/4 material, so probably 1-7/8"~