Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airplane window

Airplane window

I need to engrave a 747 window as part of a retirement plaque (using a CO2 laser). It is polycarbonate, which I think may be difficult to engrave well (not to mention dealing with the slight curvature of the window). I was thinking of possible approaches. One would be to just try to engrave it directly. I'm hesitant on this because I only have one window and nothing to practice or test settings on. The second would be to mask it, kiss cut the mask, and after weeding, do a bead blast to etch the poly. (my current favorite) The third would be to mask it and then engrave the mask (to eliminate the weeding chore) and then media blast.

I was curious if anyone had done this and could offer any suggestions

This was the inspiration for the plaque
    plaque1.jpg

Thanks.

Deane Shepard

If it's polycarb, I wouldn't attempt something that detailed. Pcarb smokes very badly, yellow stinky smoke, and it stains, yellowish and sometimes dark-ish, and I've tried basic paint thinner, mineral spirits, naptha, turpentine, acetone, xylene, alcohol, and screen print ink thinner to no avail to clean the stains. Not exactly sure how well it would respond light dithered engraving, all I've ever done is text...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Shepard View Post
    ... It is polycarbonate. ...
    I'm far from an expert, with my only experience on a shared laser cutter in a maker space, but I can pass along a warning. Polycarbonate was on the banned materials list for (unspecified) safety reasons. (A chemist in our orientation class thought about it and speculated it out gases fluorine, which is nasty stuff. If so, it'll corrode the exhaust path and, unless the exhaust is perfect, your lungs, sinuses, and eyes.) So please research more than engraving quality and verify your safety too!

Polycarb is used for windows in high power lasers...there's a reason for that when lased it produces a LOT of carbon and looks dreadful usually (but is very good at blocking the beam)
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I'm far from an expert, with my only experience on a shared laser cutter in a maker space, but I can pass along a warning. Polycarbonate was on the banned materials list for (unspecified) safety reasons. (A chemist in our orientation class thought about it and speculated it out gases fluorine, which is nasty stuff. If so, it'll corrode the exhaust path and, unless the exhaust is perfect, your lungs, sinuses, and eyes.) So please research more than engraving quality and verify your safety too!
    Not even remotely close. Here is an msds for polycarbonate. https://stars.berkeley.edu/assets/fi...onate_MSDS.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Not even remotely close. Here is an msds for polycarbonate. https://stars.berkeley.edu/assets/fi...onate_MSDS.pdf
    I don't see that saying it is safe to burn/melt with a laser. (Very safe when unmodified, but....) It says it out gases when burned:

Irritating and toxic gases and aerosols may be
    generated by thermal decomposition and combustion
    and fire fighters need protection:

Full emergency equipment with self-contained
    breathing apparatus must be worn by firefighters.
    hardly a definitive statement of safety.

ETA: OK, it seems the Fluorine gas concern isn't correct:

Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Dioxide from burning. When
    heated to decomposition (420° C, 788° F) fumes can
    contain bisphenol A, methane, dipenyl carbonate and
    Nox.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 01-10-2018 at 4:16 PM.

Is this deja vu? I seem to remember someone doing this last year or so, same type of questions and speculation,
    you might try a search, as I seem to remember it being resolved.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Blog Entries
    Blasting is best option. Jdsindustries.com sells a laserable mask called lasermask that you apply, Laser through and then blast. Works well, and probably will be a good fit for this project. Polycarbonate isn't dangerous to laser but doesn't laser well at all. Blast it!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    Oh, David, go read msds on acrylic...... A lot of the same issues with burning toxic fumes. But that is why we laser and not burn
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I don't see that saying it is safe to burn/melt with a laser. (Very safe when unmodified, but....) It says it out gases when burned:

and fire fighters need protection:

hardly a definitive statement of safety.

ETA: OK, it seems the Fluorine gas concern isn't correct:
    If you want to see some scary stuff check out dihydrogen monoxide - nasty stuff according to the msds.

I engraved an airplane window a while back and it came out great. It wasn't detailed graphic's Just Lettering. It engraved like acrylic .attachment.jpg
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 01-11-2018 at 1:12 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Just supply some acrylic cut to fit where you accidentally-on-purpose swapped out the polycarb.
    It'll look the same to the client.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

I'm pretty sure this one I did was polycarb. Its very heavy and thick, pretty sure its bullet proof also. I had no issues with fumes, or discoloration. But if you have doubts do like Ian said and replace it with acrylic
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

14. IMG_3588.jpg

This is a window i did last year. I did each A/C one at a time adjusting the focus. Probably did had too much power for the name part though.

Thanks to all for the responses. I did a test engraving on one edge and it seems to engrave just fine. The issue I am dealing with now is the curvature of the window. Unfortunately, the design calls for it to run horizontally so I can't take Fabian's approach of doing pieces at a time (although it looks like his window and mine are about the same item). I suppose with a lot of effort, I could break the graphics and text into segments and adjust the focus for each band, but I am worried about getting "banding" if I try that. The total change in focal length is .16" It rises .16 from one edge of the design to the center and then drops that much to the other edge of the design. I think a longer lens may be the only answer.