Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airplane window

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Shepard View Post
    Thanks to all for the responses. I did a test engraving on one edge and it seems to engrave just fine. The issue I am dealing with now is the curvature of the window. Unfortunately, the design calls for it to run horizontally so I can't take Fabian's approach of doing pieces at a time (although it looks like his window and mine are about the same item). I suppose with a lot of effort, I could break the graphics and text into segments and adjust the focus for each band, but I am worried about getting "banding" if I try that. The total change in focal length is .16" It rises .16 from one edge of the design to the center and then drops that much to the other edge of the design. I think a longer lens may be the only answer.
    A 4" lens would handle that with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    A 4" lens would handle that with no problem.
    Good Fix, I would have never thought of that....
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I ended up buying a 2.5" lens. The Universal Laser lens selection article says it has a tolerance of .15" I focused it, then brought the lens about .085 closer. In theory that would give the the .15-.16" variance I needed. Based on a suggestion from the Universal technician, I did boost the power a little higher than normal. It worked. Everything engraved fine.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.