Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corded drill - powerful, accurate but...light

I second Rod,

Whatever drill you decide on, it should have a side handle, which would really help you control it with the larger 20MM holes.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I drill pocket screw holes with my Ryobi cordless drills. In high speed mode they work well. I have two DeWalt 3/8 drills but it isn't worth draging them out when the cordless work so well. When I wired my shop I discovered my old Craftsman 1/2 inch drill was not functional and the only low speed high torque drills I had were my Ryobi cordless drills. So I bored through as many as 5 2x4s with it. I was using a Irwin speed bore bit and it torqued pretty good when it bit. I didn't get a hole lot of 2x4s on a battery but it wasn't that bad either. I think I only had 3 little ones at the time. I since bought two of the big 4 amp/hour batteries and these last a really long time in a drill. I use these cordless to bore through solid softwood doors for locksets too. I broke an old one doing it but my current two are still going strong. I wouldn't mind having a decent low speed 1/2 chuck drill but it isn't high on my list of tools I need to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by laura vianello View Post
    ..I am moving away from cordless because drilling my type of holes (Kreg Jig, Parf, etc) drain battery way too quickly. Sometimes I have only 1 hour to work on my projects and I need to be sure this hour is well spent producing and not swapping drills. Thanks for your help!! Kitui
    I have 2 Dewalt 18v cordless drills with 4 battery packs (2 newer, 2 older) of which 2 are in 2 chargers at all times. Just takes seconds to swap batteries. Maybe a new battery or 2 will solve the problem?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have been using the Porter Cable electric drill purchased from Lowes. Keyless chuck and heavy duty cord. I use it mostly for pocket hole drilling and the occasional wire brush for de-rusting a part. Around $50.00. Weight is not feather-like but light for me (who works out regularly).

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    Bosch has a 3/8" corded drill that they say has best-in-class power to weight ratio. I've never used one, but it might be worth seeing how it compares to others that you've been looking at.
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...06vsr-34780-p/

--Geoff
    I have this drill, and it has a very thin handle which might suit the OPs small hands.

My 1/4" B&D gave up the ghost a couple years back.
    I got that thing when I was in grade school - back in the mid 1960's.
    My 3/8" B&D, bought when Nixon was in office, is still running fine.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Rich my B&D is 3/8" from back in that time period or maybe a little later. Built like a tank, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Bosch 1006 that I recommended above and was recommended by others weighs 3.4lb. Having a side handle could be a big advantage. If you want to have the speed to do Kreg Jig well and drill 20mm holes and have a side handle it is going to be a very, very short list.

Milwaukee 0233-20 is probably going to be about the only one in a quality drill. 4.0lb.
    https://milwaukeetool.com/Products-R...233-20/0233-20

This is an older design, so you lose the long groove the later Milwaukee drills have that help you "point" the drill. You can see it clearly in my 1/4" 0-4000 drill shown here with my D-Handle 0-500rpm drill.
    MilwaukeeDrills.jpg

Exclamation Impact driver can be better than impact driller

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have 2 Dewalt 18v cordless drills with 4 battery packs (2 newer, 2 older) of which 2 are in 2 chargers at all times. Just takes seconds to swap batteries. Maybe a new battery or 2 will solve the problem?
    The same here. I have two 4Ah and two 2Ah 20V Dewalt batteries. It has been enough for my needs and I postponed the purchase for two additional batteries (rated at 6Ah each). They are small and light weight. My personal experience is the modern cordless tools are way better than older ones: they offer more power and battery life in a compact and light package.

1. Both my cordless impact drill and driver are brushless. It is a factor for battery life and power availability
    2. For heavier situations the impact driver can be better than impact driller for two reasons, usually they have more torque and its intermittent rotation helps a lot at difficult situations...
    3. In the case you will use driver for drilling, be aware your drill bits will support much more stress. Some bits that work very well in a drill can break when used in a driver

All the best.

Thanks for all the responses! I got a corded Makita on eBay for very little. Let’s see how it does. It is on its way. Worse scenario, I will use it for pocket holes. f it does not work I will look at the corded Bosch may be. I am having hard time to buy another cordless while I have 2 drills and 4 batteries ((hitachi). I would love to buy the suggested Milwaukee but I have purchased few Festool tools and I am broke .

Thanks for your suggestions!

that was funny...thanks!!

I use this model DEWALT DWD115K 8 Amp 3/8-Inch VSR Mid-Handle Grip Drill Kit with Keyless Chuck. I like the mid handle for doing pocket holes. I went back to corded when I broke my HD Kreg bit. They said the Cordless did not have the RPM to drill with it. Kreg was great anyhow, and sent me 2 new bits for the Jig. The issue with key less chucks is they come loose in reverse. I plan on converting it back to a regular chuck or putting in an hex chuck, since all my kreg bits have hex quick change shanks. Dan

I never knew you needed a specific speed for Kreg bits. I have probably done 500 ish holes in a kreg jig with my dewalt cordless drill. Only time I ever broke the tip on one was dropping the drill with the bit in it on a concrete floor.

While I do like corded drills for torque etc, battery life on modern cordless drills is pretty great. I have not measured run time, and I am not using a drill all day every day. But I have never had a drill that started with a charged battery die mid project on any drill purchased in the last 5 years. Old drills were a whole different story, but brushless and LI batteries seem to have mostly solved battery life issues.

Not with my 2 hitachi. No sure if it is the charger or the batteries. It was not a great buy