Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In-shop Location Space Question for CNC

Jim...
    I'm sure you have heard the phrase: "Buy your second machine first". It's for woodworkers, not physicians.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Nice to be able to fit 4 by 8 sheet of plywood on the new toy....
    THAT ain't gonna happen...but I like how you think!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Jim...
    I'm sure you have heard the phrase: "Buy your second machine first". It's for woodworkers, not physicians.
    ROFLOL! You have that right.
    --

I have a 4 X 8 and use the end for glue ups and assembly when the job is small. I cut a lot of dimensional letters for a company that I use the end of the table to check that each is good and I have enough.

Jerome, what you mention is part of how I believe I'll be able to accomodate the 4x4 format in my particular shop at this point. I'm still finagling on a few things, but it's looking more and more likely. It's not about the $1500 additional cost; it's about space.
    --

Better buy soon before talk urself into stinger 3 with shop enlargement ..

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Better buy soon before talk urself into stinger 3 with shop enlargement ..
    ROFLOL!!! I can get away with the Stinger II, but I don't think that Professor Dr. SWMBO is going to be up for a move to someplace else with a larger outbuilding. I'm afraid that the typical "yes, dear" would turn into something more negative.
    --

Will it fit upstairs? That might be your best option. I'll help you haul it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Will it fit upstairs? That might be your best option. I'll help you haul it up there.
    Nope...aside from the 1000+ pounds of weight...it's a bit hard to fit a nearly 70" wide hunk of steel through a 34" wide door. That said, when this comes to pass, if you're not doing anything important (like earning a living ), you're be welcome to assist getting it into the shop from transport, which will hopefully be able to slide it most of the way in the double doors directly. (Likely a flatbed tow truck)
    --

I think I'm busy that day.....

Jim a little shop story. I retired 10 years before my wife, and all was fine. Pat semi-retired later on and things were still fine. Now she is full time retired.... now she likes to have me in the shop or doing another hobby but not in the way. So perhaps if you had that 4x4 machine you could help keep your wife happy!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

But Bob...it would be the unveiling of a new power tool. How could you resist that?

-----

Bill, Professor Dr. SWMBO is somewhat of an introvert (my opposite) and we have a good symbiosis when it comes to activities, although she's come a long way in the years since we met in 1997 and since she's been teaching instead of just researching. She benefits from my shop already, both in the house and with her beekeeping avocation and actually is pretty encouraging about my recent retirement and figuring out what I want to do when I grow up. And since I do the majority of the cooking, our laundry, most of the landscaping work and some other household tasks (and have for years, even while working full time, but virtual office at home), I can get away with more relative to my shop than perhaps others might. The real challenge with the larger machine is simply space and shop arrangement and I think...maybe...I have that figured out.
    --

You can fit a 5X10 easily in a 36" door - Just have to build it yourself.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Jim, come to think of it saving all the money by making the supers and whatever else for your wife and her beekeeping hobby. I kept bees when I was in high school and 4H.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Jim, come to think of it saving all the money by making the supers and whatever else for your wife and her beekeeping hobby. I kept bees when I was in high school and 4H.
    Honestly, there's almost no savings at all or negative savings for building boxes from scratch due to local cost of material vs what you can buy pre-cut, knocked down boxes from places like Mann Lake. I make most of the other stuff, however. If someone is doing high-volume, making boxes from scratch pays, but not for small operators unless they have a ready supply of essentially free or "chump-change" recycled wood to build with.

There is a dude on CAMheads that builds a unique vertical brood box product with doors for easier hive inspections without unstacking...all cut on a Camaster.

---

And the verdict is in...yup...I think that's going to work, particularly if I make my bench mobile again so I can get it out of the way for finishing processes.

IMG_0027.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-18-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    --