Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In-shop Location Space Question for CNC

In-shop Location Space Question for CNC

Part of the decision process for bringing a CNC machine into my shop is physically locating it. Camaster has provided a "prepping" guide for one of the configurations I'm considering and they recommend what is certainly universally ideal suggestion that there be a minimum of 36" inches of access on the sides and back and appropriate space to the front for loading material. As much as I'd like to embrace that ideal, it's not physically possible to do so in my shop. My question is basically if most favorable access is limited to one side (left) and the front, will I run into major usability issues? I don't intend to acquire the lathe capability and that hangs off to the right anyway, as far as I can tell.

Comments? Suggestions? Condolences? (Thanks in advance for something in one of those categories, preferably from the first two)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We put our Camaster Panther about 18" from the back wall and about 30" from the left wall. That 30" on the left is enough space to locate the computer and monitor and still squeeze by for maintenance. The 18" in the back is enough to reach the shutoff's for the vacuum. We leave the front clear for loading and access to the control panel and we leave the right side open for unload and full table access. The only reason I favor leaving the right side open instead of the left is that the orientation of the computer screen makes it more intuitive located at the XY0 corner of the machine. If I had to leave that right side open, I'd make sure I bought a remote pendant to stand wherever I needed to perform certain functions. If you order the machine recoil prepped, be aware that the gantry will arrive extended over the right side for when you decide to add the lathe later on.

Ours is a 4x8 so it is fixed in one position. There's no reason a smaller machine couldn't be made mobile and positioned as necessary.

Thanks, James. I'm not going to get the recoil prep (honestly, because of the extra space that I don't have) and I am planning on the remote keypad. Honestly, I'm likely going to have to wall mount the monitor, keyboard and rodent, but I can understand the position orientation you mention after having watched the Camaster orientation video last night for WinCNC and may have to come with an alternative. Gary sorta discouraged mobility in my other thread, but it may have to stay on the table for practical reasons. Just as there isn't a "board stretcher", there's not a practical "shop stretcher" either. LOL
    --

36” would be nice in a perfect world. You really only need clear access from the front or rear for material loading and room enough on the sides to allow you access for setup & clamping, and to do periodic machine maintenance.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the computer mounted to the wall on my current machine. the keyboard and monitor fold out from the wall when in use.

IMG_1870.jpg

Bruce, what you mentioned is what I'm thinking. It's likely I'll be going with the 3' x 4' machine and I certainly have good reach as I'm not "vertically challenged" at just under 6'. (until I shrink more like my parents did. LOL)

James, that's exactly the kind of setup I'm thinking about. No way is there going to be any "furniture" in my shop and wall mounting in some form may be the best way to have the controller accessible without compromising shop space. I'll have to get creative about dust for the CPU, of course. Nature of the beast.
    --

Jim,

This what I decided to use for my shop computer. Its a Harbor Freight 3 drawer tool box that sits between my laser and CNC router. It drives both machines and because my CAMaster doesn't require a continues data feed I can run both machines at the same time. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. The drawers are perfect for router bits I use just for the CNC and lots of other things I need to keep close by, the drawers are very convenient. At the bottom of the roll around box is my computer and a battery backup. The battery backup gives me a few minutes to save a position on the computer in case I have to restart a long running job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-12-2018 at 10:25 AM.

My 4x8 machine is placed in a corner virtually identical to James. My controller is near the wall, but it can be reached. Getting to that side to service the rails or check for debris is not always easy, but I manage. The biggest downside I found was not being able to get to that side to clean up all the chips. These things tend to make a mess. Drawing from the steel milling industry, I finally added a skirt on the sides closest to the wall so the chips are easier to vacuum off the table instead of the floor. That made things much easier. I find myself stacking sheet goods against one wall, and then I can not always fit my rotund self around very easily.

Here’s my relatively small $60 “work station” from Amazon. I added full extension drawer slides and replaced the keyboard drawer with ¾” phenolic ply I had on hand. I’m slowly filling the holes..
    The PC itself lives in the table base I made for the Stinger.

I was at the doctor’s office last Wednesday. I used to be 6’3”, I’m now 6’1-¾”. I weighed 180 straight out of the Army, I now weigh .....!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think I may have this figured out...since I can conceivably use the CNC bed as an additional flat surface to put things on while doing glue-up, etc., I can put it in the similar position to where my bench is in the following photo, but with the bad side right to the wall. I can revert back to wheels for mobility on the bench with adjustable feet to stabilize when I need to do hand-tool work. The MFT does that function a lot right now and I can just keep it folded and stored unless I truly need to use it. This arrangement will allow for the "suggested" 36" minimum clearance on left, front and right sides at all times and shorten the requirement for the 10/3 wiring in a meaningful way. (The existing machine circuit in that area is only 20 amp and not suitable for the CNC machine) I already have both air and DC overhead there, too.

I gotta bounce this around in SketchUp, but it's looking promising. Yea, I know....putting things on the CNC bed is a travesty and takes it out of service, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do with what you have to work with.

IMG_2217.jpg
    --

Just for reference, I have a CNCRP 24x28 Standard machine. Mine is situated in a corner of the shop as close to the walls as I could get it. I have clear access to the long side and limited access to the short side. I've been using it like that for about 1 1/2 years. No complaints. Now, to qualify, I am a weekend warrior hobby user. have not really used the CNC bed for a work surface much. I do place newspaper on it and set things there to dry now and then. My laptop is parked on my router table at the moment, which I don't like, but.... I am planning on building a small laptop stand soon (no, really!). Now and then, I clean around the machine and it can be a bit of a hassle to get behind it, but that's minimal. My machine has casters if I really need to move it, but I haven't yet. My casters stay retracted for stability. I was surprised at how much the machine shakes and wiggles. I added some stiffeners to my table after I used the machine a while. Really helped.

Tony

I made a swing a way mount for both my controller and laptop that is high enough so most small project will slide under. When I get time today I will try to post a picture. I realize this is for a hobby setup.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Our machine is the prototype Saturn 2x4 from Fine Line Automation and the footprint is 54" x 70" as it sets with the electrical enclosure hanging off the front. I had no room to place the computer, monitor, and keyboard off to the side so the placement is long side against the 'tire bump' raised portion of concrete in the garage. I have enough room to walk and work at the workbench which is on the wall at that same raised portion. I built a stand for the computer and that is on the wall at the front of the CNC. I can get to all 4 sides but the rear is the most difficult because I usually keep a staging table there to set things on for the router table which is the next piece of equipment. I can move the table, though, but I rarely need to.

Here's the shop in panorama view 12/5/17 -
    Shop - 12-5-17.jpg

And the space between the workbench and CNC -
    145 - Cabling cleaned up.jpg

And a shot from today showing the computer cart placement - I'm cleaning out today so that's why stuff is piled on the CNC -
    168 - Computer cart placement.jpg

There is simply no other place the computer can go so I've grown accustomed to this placement.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Thinking this through is turning out to be "financially dangerous"...I may be on the way to a 4x4 instead of a 3x4. LOL It's amazing how creative we can be when we take the time to examine things from multiple angles and try hard to avoid "that could never work" without actually proving it out.
    --

Nice to be able to fit 4 by 8 sheet of plywood on the new toy....