Thread: Short wood screws

Blog Entries

Short wood screws

I have used metal screws in the past for screwing on a wood top to a metal base.

I was wondering what you like to use for short 1" or less for this task. I want a button head, etc where I don't have to counter sink. I think the short metal screws don't really have enough thread to work in wood.

Blog Entries
    Well, there you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Tru...on%2Bhead&th=1

I guess these will work.

We use the same type screws at work. If you are going into hardwood make sure you have a good pilot hole because the 18-8 is soft and it is easy to wring the head right off. Good luck

I use "sheet metal screws" in wood all the time. The biggest difference between a SM screw and a wood screw is that the threads on a SM screw extend all the way from tip to head---on a "wood screw" the threads stop short of the head.

wood screw 1-12-18.jpgsheet metal screw 1-12-18.jpg
    Sometimes, the threads are a little coarser on wood screws, but they are often the same. In any case, sheet metal screws work fine in wood.

I use sheet metal screws all the time also. BoltDepot.com has a wide selection of all kinds of screws and bolts at great prices and the shipping is reasonable in my experience. I don't typically order one or two things at a time though, but larger lots. Even on small lots they probably beat Amazon on price.

Another type of screw with a nice look and built in washer is carried by the big boxes as "lath screws". Self tapping, so you need the depth for the tip.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Blog Entries
    BoltDepot is good. I use them and McMasterCarr.

Good to know that everyone uses sheet metal screws. Good call on lath screws. I didn't know what they type was called, but I definitely like the look. What I thought was a semi dumb question ended up being informative!

Thanks and cheers,

Look for "truss head" screws and I think you'll find them similar, but without the self-tapping part.

I tend to use sheet metal screws if a pan head is needed. They tend to have a coarse thin thread, so they hold well but don't weaken the wood much. You do need to match the pilot pretty close to the stem on hardwood though. For flat/bugle head, I use gold construction screws. There is a 1" one, and if necessary, I grind the screw down to 3/4. If I need screws shorter than that, I either use shorter sheet metal ones or drawer slide screws, or better yet try to think of a better way of attaching things than short screws

Andrew,

Lots of good ideas. Like I'm sure many do, when I need a particular size I get extra for my stock!

About five years ago I visited a local fasteners company that caters to commercial customers but they were happy to take my money. They didn't care if I wanted 2 or 100 of anything - the guy would got most out of bins and patiently counted out what I asked for. I bought moderate quantities of a variety of screws, wood, sheet metal, pan head, truss, self-tapping. I bought lengths from 1/2" and longer and various sizes,#6, 8, 10, etc. I'll probably never use them all but the drawers almost always have just what I need.

Also, a local metals recycling place also sells loose fasteners by weight at scrap prices. Every time I go I look through their bins of steel, stainless, brass etc, mostly machine screws and bolts but some sheet metal and wood screws. Perhaps you have a similar place near you.

JKJ

Found this page a while ago. Good primer on fasteners. http://www.rockler.com/how-to/screw-comparison-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Another type of screw with a nice look and built in washer is carried by the big boxes as "lath screws". Self tapping, so you need the depth for the tip.
    I also like the lath screws. I keep them in stock in various lengths.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214