Thread: Shaker Worksop Chairs??

Shaker Worksop Chairs??

I have a number of Shaker chair kits that need to be assembled. The process is pretty straight forward as it only requires glueing spindle tenon's into drilled mortises.
    But here is my question. Is there a "better way" to do this assembly other that just relying on glue alone? I have seen where a kerh is sawn inbthe tenon and a slim wedge/shim is insrted and as the joint is assembled it makes a fighter joint. I am a bit concerned about the "regular" joint loosening over time.
    Thanks in advance for you help!!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-12-2018 at 7:32 PM. Reason: fixed wonky text, the standard editor will do this for you.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Do a google search for "Blind Fox-Wedged Tenon" and you will find several articles pertaining to making tighter joints using wedges in tenons. I have an antique Hoop back chair that has the hoop attached to the seat with through tenons and a wedge. Though I've had to repair the turned leg tenon joints to the seat, the wedged tenon back has never moved.

P.S. I moved your question to the Neander forum as the folks there are more used to making strong joints by hand methods.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yep, a fox wedged joint. Flare the mortise at the bottom a little and it will lock.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.