Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Thing You Want to Learn

True 3-D CNC rounting. I have done a lot of different kinds of 2-D and 2.5-D but i have never even used canned 3-D models, much less original designs.

I'd like to learn CNC routing. That is, how to program one. So far, the cost of an CNC router has kept me from going forward on that. Also space in the shop for it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, there are some very capable, reasonably priced and small in size CNC machines available these days. As to the programming, go to the Vectric site and download one of the free trials, such as for VCarve Pro to play with...they have an extensive and excellent set of tutorial videos on YouTube that show just how approachable drawing and toolpathing can be for "normal people". I've learned a whole lot in the last month just watching those videos and playing with the software, myself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welding is also on my list.
    I have looked into taking a class but they were all geared to someone wanting welding as a career .
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Welding is also on my list.
    I have looked into taking a class but they were all geared to someone wanting welding as a career .
    Some years ago, I took night classes at a community college on welding. In that class, they started us on gas welding and I did pretty good on that. Then they moved us to stick welding and I never really could do that well.

That course was geared to people who wanted to learn welding for a career. You can take as much as you want to, and quit any time. No matter how much you do, you'll learn.

I've thought about buying a MIG welder but I don't have a need to do a lot of welding. I have a small gas welding setup but I'm limited by the small size - it doesn't put out enough heat to do large things. I had to do something recently so I had a helper use a MAPP torch on the back of the metal and I brazed from the other side. Worked well for my needs.

I have a friend who has a lot of welding equipment so if I really needed something that I couldn't do, I could probably pay him to do it for me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would like to learn how a woman’s mind works. I realize I will most likely have to settle for something much more simpler, like string theory, or quantum physics. LOLOLOLOLOL (good thing the Missus doesn’t read these posts, so I might be safe).

Sewing, leatherwork, knife making. Not necessarily in that order.

Anyone interested in machining and (TIG) welding, check out This Old Tony & Ox Tool Co on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fleming View Post
    I would like to learn how a woman’s mind works. I realize I will most likely have to settle for something much more simpler, like string theory, or quantum physics. LOLOLOLOLOL (good thing the Missus doesn’t read these posts, so I might be safe).

One thing I want to learn?

Patience.

Examples: While I would probably be dang good at woodworking and auto/body repair, I Simply Do Not Have the necessary patience those two hobbies/professions require.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I didn't mean to come off on the wrong foot in my previous post.
    I just felt it funny, that so many guys longed to do what I had already done, out of necessity, to get by in my life. Although it wasn't easy I still somewhat enjoyed myself; and not raising a family was able to have the time to do other things.

A musical instrument.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Peter,that was riot!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Sewing, leatherwork, knife making. Not necessarily in that order.
    If shopping for a sewing machine you might consider an embroidery machine for the extra capability. I bought one after shopping for a sewing machine a few years ago to make some physical therapy things after my wife's fool surgery. I realized one day I could make nearly anything I needed of from wood, metal, plastic, and leather but when it came to cloth I was helpless! I might be the only guy pushing 70 in my area with an embroidery machine but it has been handy - I've made a few gifts and even better, several kids have come to learn how and make something.

Another perhaps "odd" hobby for an old guy is spinning fiber into yarn. I have three spinning wheels and a drum carder and an endless supply of alpaca and llama fiber. I learned to knit a few years ago and when I get better at it I have a goal, to show kids the whole thing: here's the alpaca, this is the fleece, this is roving used to make yarn like this, ...and here's the hat! So many kids these days seem clueless about anything they can't get at Walmart or McDonalds. Yikes, I have to duck out now and wrangle the horses to keep my macho card up to date.

JKJ
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-16-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I didn't mean to come off on the wrong foot in my previous post.
    Not at all (IMHO). You pretty much summed up what I was thinking. IMHO - the biggest hurdle to overcome is going against gravity.....as in....get your butt out of the chair and do something about what you want!

and not raising a family was able to have the time to do other things.
    LOL! Talk about opposites! I was thrown into being a single custodial parent, with a ~ 2 year old daughter and a 4 month old son, when my ex-wife decided to"find herself", which was such a common thing for people to do back in the 60's and 70's.
    Talk about necessity being the mother of....whatever!
    I don't regret a second of it though - - raising the kids - -I never felt it got in the way of anything.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 01-16-2018 at 6:13 AM.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

3D printing. Its the future!