Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hate when that happens...

I have made some doozies myself, but not that one..... Just one more thing to look forward to doing in the future.....

For reasons I am a bit ashamed to admit to, I am usually mark the waste that I need to remove rather than just making lines then cutting it out.... Last time I cut out the wrong part, it was on a rather nice piece of wood.... was sad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Glad to know I’m in good company. If you make the T-shirts, please count me in. This was for the back of a drawer, so didn’t leave me any options. But trust me, after the initial shock, my first thought was how can I make this work. Just wasn’t a good answer. Take another hour or so, thickness plane some more stock, cut it to length and redo it.

Back in business...and yes, it was good practice! And yes, it’s up on the shelf...need a good reminder from time to time.

Attachment 376351
    OK, I'll bite. What's wrong? Didn't offset the dovetails so you could slide a bottom in?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob, when he cut the pins he marked and cut one end from the outside of the board and the other end he marked and cut them from the inside.
    Last edited by Chet R Parks; 01-15-2018 at 9:01 AM. Reason: pins was tails

Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    Rob, when he cut the pins he marked and cut one end from the outside of the board and the other end he marked and cut them from the inside.
    I guess I'm not seeing it. Proof I have much to learn

Would it be too late to change the dimension of the build...and trim one end off and restart?

I have done a similar fix before.

Simon

I don't see the problem at all. You just invented the new pushmepullyou dovetail. It's just a matter of defining success. Really.

It's a good thing that I never ever makes mistakes like that. Not me. Never. It's also a good thing my fire pot tells no tales.

-Tom

LOL, Tom......

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Glad to know I’m in good company. If you make the T-shirts, please count me in. This was for the back of a drawer, so didn’t leave me any options. But trust me, after the initial shock, my first thought was how can I make this work. Just wasn’t a good answer. Take another hour or so, thickness plane some more stock, cut it to length and redo it.

Back in business...and yes, it was good practice! And yes, it’s up on the shelf...need a good reminder from time to time.

Attachment 376351
    OK, I'll bite. What's wrong? Didn't offset the dovetails so you could slide a bottom in?
    Rob, you had me going until Phil (the op) posted again. The post you quoted shows the fixed/correct piece. To see the bad piece, the picture is in post #1:

Picture says it all

Attachment 376264

Talk about a total lack of focus. “Hey, honey, look at this nice piece of kindling I just made”

Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    Rob, you had me going until Phil (the op) posted again. The post you quoted shows the fixed/correct piece. To see the bad piece, the picture is in post #1:

Thanks goodness. I feel like less of an idiot now

The first photo (post #1) tells the tale very clearly. I studied the photo below long and hard and could't find a thing wrong with it.

Rob, I really do appreciate that! I haven’t done many dovetails, but they are getting a bit better one by one.

Blog Entries
    Phil, thanks for sharing – I know we can all relate to the pain of that "Ah ha" moment when you realize you just screwed up your dovetails. You're a better man than me because at least you figured out the mistake before you spread out the glue!

I like to paired the inside edge of the tails to help ease things together during glue up. My regular DT screwup is is pairing the outside edge, which effectively ruins everything I hate when that happens!