Thread: Explain Hatching

Explain Hatching

Hi, I do gunsmiths work and purchased a 30watt fiber laser to do some engraving and marking on firearms . I have searched the internet and various forums for information on the different hatch functions but have found very little information on this topic. Is there a preferred hatch thats more suited for a "deep engrave" opposed to hatch more for marking ? smoothest?best detail?..TY

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Childers View Post
    Hi, I do gunsmiths work and purchased a 30watt fiber laser to do some engraving and marking on firearms . I have searched the internet and various forums for information on the different hatch functions but have found very little information on this topic. Is there a preferred hatch thats more suited for a "deep engrave" opposed to hatch more for marking ? smoothest?best detail?..TY
    You must not of Searched here, and a lot of fiber work is trial and error plus a log book to keep track of those settings you find that works.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

What Bill said. After a year and a half with my machine, I just recently found some settings that work to engrave Glock slides fairly deep, fairly quickly, and with very little if any edge burr, very smooth and easily paintable. Yet, these settings only work for Glock slides and some aluminum. Stainless steel plates and other steel gun parts engraved identically leaves me with a nasty slag burr along the edges. Still trying to figure out what I need to do differently. It's a problem with many firearms parts because you can't sand or scotchbrite the burr off, it simply must not be there in the first place.

My fiber is the most fascinating, AND the most frustrating piece of equipment I've ever owned
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Ty for the response

Completed this yesterday. Customer wanted a slag free edge, but that rough look deep down. Here's the process I used on my 50 watt:

Painter's tape for first 10 passes, then remove. Not sure this helped, but didn't hurt.
    10 passes at 1000 Sp / 100 Power / 35 KHz
    Removed tape
    10 passes at 3500 / 75 / 45 x 7 at different angles
    5 passes at 3500 / 45 / 80 with Contour x 2 at different angles

Note - The rough looking edge was the Font used, not slag.

20180114_160934w.jpg
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Looks Great !!! thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Childers View Post
    Looks Great !!! thanks for the info
    Tim is using a 50 watt machine, so more than likely not will work or look the same on yours.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10