Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sketcchup 2018

Blog Entries
    I used Auto Cad professionally for a lot of years. I was a piping designer working in the Gulf Coast plants.
    I have a legal copy of both softwares. For woodworking I'm happy with Sketchup.

Blog Entries
    The annoying thing with the free software is that you almost need the computer next to you when building. "How long do I make side of this drawer? I forget" Then you go in and use the measurement tool to measure. You can't (that I know of) annotate in the free versions. That is, your ruler will measure something, but you can't keep that measurement on the dwg in text, if that makes sense.

I'm going to have to budget in new software on my next project because I'm tired of doing this. I want something to print out with measurements on the drawing. I also want to be able to go to vendors with a professional title block, specs and drawings. I'd like to document what I have done so that if I build it twice, the second time is 5 times faster.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    The annoying thing with the free software is that you almost need the computer next to you when building. "How long do I make side of this drawer? I forget" Then you go in and use the measurement tool to measure. You can't (that I know of) annotate in the free versions. That is, your ruler will measure something, but you can't keep that measurement on the dwg in text, if that makes sense.

I'm going to have to budget in new software on my next project because I'm tired of doing this. I want something to print out with measurements on the drawing. I also want to be able to go to vendors with a professional title block, specs and drawings. I'd like to document what I have done so that if I build it twice, the second time is 5 times faster.
    Andrew, The "dimension" tool in Sketchup Make is what you are looking for (at least in my 2017 version). Of course, if you are using the software in your business you are required to pay for the Professional version anyway.

As Jon says, the Dimension tool (which is available in all versions of SketchUp is designed to place dimensions so you don't need SketchUp next to you.

From this description of your desired usage, Sketchup Pro and LayOut are what you need. SketchUp for the 3D Model and the views of the various parts you need to make, LayOut for the documentation including a professional title block and specs.

...I want something to print out with measurements on the drawing....
    Andrew, it's usually pretty easy to annotate drawings with dimensions. They are interactive too. I did a quick set of drawings for a friend who designed a cheap lathe tool sharpening system - I used the free Sketchup - here are two of set with dimensions.

sharpE_jig_dim_small.jpg sharpD4_arm_small.jpg

You can also make notes and do other annotations. Some things may be quicker to do in post, in a general graphics program.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Hmm... Maybe it's because I have to use an older edition? (windows issue)

I'll look into.

And, yes, I need to upgrade anyway.

I'll look into.

And, yes, I need to upgrade anyway.
    How old? SketchUp has had a Dimension tool since at least Version 3. Probably before that. That's at least fifteen years ago.

I did dimensioning in versions I used long ago, including Sketchup 5 and earlier I think. (before google bought it, before the current owners bought it) The sad thing is there are very few improvements in the updates released year after year compared to the earliest versions. When I came back to Sketchup after well over a decade my old 3rd party Sketchup book was still quite useful for learning/review - almost nothing in the core features had changed. It was a little depressing.

When I installed Sketchup 2017 on Win10 I did have to go through virtual hoops to get it to play well with a couple of laptops. It's picky about the video chips and about how they are configured.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Haha, I don't know how I missed this!

Thanks a lot everyone!