Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineered Wood

Engineered Wood

I bought something from someone (a sanding jig) that I thought was going to be made out of MDF. Turns out its much harder and denser. Very light colored. Anybody know what this stuff is? Seems the fellow is being somewhat cagey about the product. Won't tell me. Lol.

I know what it is but first you have to answer my riddle. What has two ends and is connected in the middle?
    Aj

What? Am I missing something?

High Density Fiberboard. The big brother to MDF. More difficult to find, used a lot in industrial applications, perhaps he "borrowed" it from his work, thus the caginess.

As to the riddle. I don't know. Perhaps a wire or line is the logical but non-funny answer.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Yeah, I’ve never seen HDF anywhere. But I see a lot about it in the web. I’m gonna check with some cabinet makers. The riddle stuff is a weird non-funny thing. But thank you.

Can you post a pic Mike?
    (Hard to help without seeing it. Maybe that's why Andrew posted the riddle? )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Maybe this helps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It’s been coated in lacquer or shellac to protect it. I scraped an edge to expose it. It’s not MDF

Man, I can't tell. The pics that come up when I google high density fiberboard look a lot like what I've always called masonite (pegboard, etc). And what you're posting just doesn't look like masonite to me. I have to defer to someone more knowledgeable Mike.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I just thought it was a partial question since you have it in front of you. How would we know it could be anything plastic, arcylic mixed with wood fibers???
    And there's no answer to my riddle it could be anything.
    Aj

Yes, I agree. It’s not pegboard material. That’s what I found too. It’s really hard. No MDF feel to it at all. Has a tonal ting to it when u tap it. I really want to find some of this stuff. There goes appear to be confusing info on web regarding hardboard, HDF, etc

Different color Micarta?

I saw an armored car at the wrecking yard once. It was lined with what looked like 3/4" OSB. But it was much denser. probably more dense then Al
    Bill D

It's called Medex.

Andrew's riddle is a koan, there is no answer. I'm guessing it was because the OP didn't provide us enough information for anyone to suggest an answer?