Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Handtools to complement Power Tools?

Which Handtools to complement Power Tools?

Greetings,

So as the Title says, Which are your most used/favorite Handtools to complement the Powertools?

I'm curious which Handtools the more experienced Folks consider really handy to have, and maybe pick up a few tools that i havent thought about. Since sometimes it is easier and faster to just use a Handtool instead of setting up a jig.

I apologize if this is the wrong part of the forum for this, didnt really know where to put it.

Regards Philipp

I think the first and most obvious is hand planes. For fitting a drawer or removing just a hair they’re very handy. They need to be quality planes and set up properly and be sharp though, and are a slippery slope!

A good set of sharp chisels is another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Jaindl View Post
    Greetings,

So as the Title says, Which are your most used/favorite Handtools to complement the Powertools?

I'm curious which Handtools the more experienced Folks consider really handy to have, and maybe pick up a few tools that i havent thought about. Since sometimes it is easier and faster to just use a Handtool instead of setting up a jig.

I apologize if this is the wrong part of the forum for this, didnt really know where to put it.

Regards Philipp

Sharp chisels. No. 4 Block Plane. A smaller plane for edge grain (No. 61 is what I use).

Japanese pull saw.

I also get good mileage out of a small pull saw with a cutting guide.

For me, the first hand tools required are measuring, layout and marking devices.

For me that includes steel rules, mechanical pencils, marking knives and small squares such as a try square and a couple of 6 inch machinist squares (one Imperial, one Metric).

After that I use chisels, a #3 and #7 plane as well as block and shoulder plane and a router plane................Regards, Rod.

I have to agree with Rod on this one. Precise measuring tools are a must in my shop. Now if I could just figure out how to use them correctly.

To agree with the others, just as a minimal starter kit so to speak - a small (6"-12"
    adjustable type very handy
    ) quality metal square, a marking knife, a marking gauge (single or combo as preferred), a 1/4" and 1/2" bench chisel each, a #3 or #4 sized smoothing plane, the sharpening kit to maintain the chisels and plane and some type of backsaw around 12"-14" long (give or take) and filed either crosscut or rip, rip maybe a little more preferred, but either one.
    David

I'd add a router plane, which is so helpful when fine-tuning tenons or cleaning up the bottom of rabbets or dado'd grooves.

As well, a few hand saws: a Veritas double-edged flush cutting handsaw (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...84,32928,32934) and a crosscut handsaw similar to this one: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42884,63338. As far as the last saw is concerned, you should be able to purchase a gently used one at any flea market and get it sharpened by most saw sharpening service centres.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

A block plane, 2 chisels 3/4” and 1/4”, SpokeShave, Cabinet Rasp, Flush trim Saw. Plus you need to sharpen your tools that need sharpening

im of assuming you have a full complement of measuring tools and a well equipped power tool shop with the ability to do all major woodworking tasks to include Joinery (Router, Domino, Mortiser), milling, dimensioning, turnings and curves.
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 01-16-2018 at 6:25 PM.

“Check the archives - there are 3,000,000+ sharpening threads at last count - please don't start another.

Thank you Fred!

Pick up the book Hybrid Woodworking. Covers this very topic.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Greetings,

Philipp,

I might have missed it but you might mention what kind of woodworking you are interested in - cabinets, fine furniture, ok furniture, kids toys, quick things for the house and barn, carpentry, woodturning, ... Some hand tools are valuable for some uses but perhaps not for others.

For nearly any type of woodworking I suggest chisels. The type and quality depends again on the type of work done. I also use gimlets and awls and various japanese saws when doing various things with wood.

JKJ

A selection of hand planes is essential for accuracy , like doing things like shooting end grain on a compontnts like drawer parts
    for that piston fit drawer expierence ...Look up Rob Cosman or Phil Lowe etc
    Forget sanding, banish it from your sight! learn the influence of the cap iron in a straight iron blade... .
    Most importantly !
    You should not operate a tablesaw without understanding the hand plane and having one at hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Pick up the book Hybrid Woodworking. Covers this very topic.
    Off-topic: Ben, I didn't find that book to be of much value to me. Maybe I missed something. What did you learn from that book that you got value out of? Give me some idea and I'll go re-read those parts.
    Thanks man.
    -Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Really, it should be the other way around. Your power tools should compliment your hand tools.

Exclamation Number one: measure tape and square

Greetings,

Regards Philipp
    ...followed by hammer and a couple of sharpen chisels.

Regards,