Thread: Restored My First Infill

Restored My First Infill

I bought my first infill plane at a local tool auction a few months ago. I had to do a lot of work on the tote, and spent hours lapping the sole and blade, but it seems to work now. The bed angle and mouth opening were quirky too and needed some adjustment.

The plane doesn’t have a makers mark, I suspect it’s Scottish. The blade is marked Warranted Johnson Cast Steel with a C.J. flag logo.

Interestingly, the tote slides into a dovetail channel cast into the iron body. It was loose when I received it… I had to strip and shim the dovetail section, fit it to the channel, and epoxy it in. The tote is beech, heavily darkened with age. The front knob/bun thing might be mahogany, hard to tell.

Blog Entries
    Owweeee - those are very impressive shavings!!! Nice work - I'm sure you'll enjoy using that infill for years to come. Thanks for sharing the pics!

I love infill planes. Are the cheeks and body of those mild steel or high carbon?
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    I love infill planes. Are the cheeks and body of those mild steel or high carbon?
    The body of this one is actually all cast iron, like a stanley plane but with thicker sidewalls. It would be neat to have a dovetailed steel plane though. I think they typically used mild steel.