Thread: Rockwell Model 10 and a Powermatic 66

Rockwell Model 10 and a Powermatic 66

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to get ya'lls thoughts. I picked up a '79 Rockwell/Delta Model 10 contractors saw last week for $100, good condition, no rust. With a new belt, new switch, PALS for adjustments and dust hood purchase I'm into it for $155. It's perfectly aligned with miter slots, jet lock fence is what it is.

Today I saw a 1985 Powermatic 66 for $300 on my local CL. Contacted the guy and went to pick it up. He had someone call in and "reserve" it for $350 but put me next on the list. Other guy couldn't pick it up until afternoon so he told me I could come back and get it for $350 - I did. It's a 5HP 3ph motor, came with a biesemeyer style fence. Needs a little clean-up work (fence doesn't lock properly, very minor surface rust on table, etc. - it's all fixable).

I'm thinking of trying to re-sell the Rockwell (maybe get $300-$350 out of it?) and pick up a VFD since I don't have 3 phase in my shop. I've been reading up on RPC vs VFD and since this is the only 3ph tool I plan to get VFD seems like the way to go. I guess I could also find a 3HP 1ph motor and swap it out. The 5HP does scare me a little (way bigger than I'll ever need) - riving knife is in my future for sure. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Powermatic 66 Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neil McCreery; 01-16-2018 at 4:30 PM.

Nice looking Powermatic you have there, Neil. You could certainly consider selling the 3ph motor and plunking in a 3hp, 1 ph motor in its place if you feel you'll never require so much "oomph". Notwithstanding, a VFD would certainly do the trick if you want to keep that motor and are convinced you're not planning to have any further 3ph machines in the shop.

BTW, I have a VFD driving the 5hp motor in my 18" planer and it works like a charm. I purchased it from Jack Forsberg; ph 613-298-7507 here in the Ottawa, Canada area. His prices were significantly better than anywhere else I could find, and he was outstanding when it came to walking me through setting it up.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

The PM 66 used a standard NEMA 56-C motor. Most motor shops could get you a rebuilt motor, if new is out of your budget.

I don’t think you can add a riving knife to a 66, a splitter yes like shark guard (see other thread going about riving knives).

Getting $300 for your contractors saw might be pushing it. I’d start at $250 and negotiate.

Nice score by the way!

Get the PM, clean it up (new arbor bearings and motor bearings), add a 3 HP TECO VFD, sell the contractor's saw and don't look back. A 3 HP VFD is plenty for a 5 HP table saw; I have been running a 3 HP VFD on my 5 HP Delta 12/14" table saw (including a 14" blade occasionally) with no problems at all. Lots of threads on the subject over at OWWM.

No riving knife available for the PM as far as I know (maybe the Shark Guard people have something) but yes you do need a splitter; if you can find a used Biesmeyer Snap In Splitter, they are very convenient.

Thanks guys. I think I'd be crazy to let the PM go at this point. I think I can get over $300 for the contractor's saw. There's currently a Model 10 in my area listed for $350 and there's one about an hour away listed for $400. Neither have dust collection, PALS or zero clearance inserts included.

As far as the PM goes I've torn it all the way down. I should have my arbor and motor bearings by the end of the day and I paste waxed all the moving parts (most were really squeaky). I had to pull apart the pivot arm completely and polish the shaft and housing holes to get it moving again. For the time being, I'm going to go with a static phase converter (done a lot of reading on it) with a plan to convert to a RPC in the future. VFDs seem overpriced and unnecessary. I got everything I need for both the RPC and SPC for about $75 from amazon and Supplyhouse. The belts were split all over (some splits were about 3/4 of thickness of the belt) so I got all new ones.

Rick Christopherson has a really good write up on both SPC and RPC here.
    This guy has a really great video walkthrough of these concepts and it includes overload protection on both sides.

Asking and getting are two different things.

Definitely keep the PM66. The Rockwell was a great buy at $155 IMO, but in my area they take a long time to sell for much over $200-$250 with that fence. Can't hurt to aim high, but the market will let you know.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Definitely post pics of the cleaned up PM66 when you're done! Congrats on the nice pickup!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    Asking and getting are two different things.
    Fair point. Time will tell.