Thread: Laminating 1/8" Solid Wood (Solid Wood Plywood)

Laminating 1/8" Solid Wood (Solid Wood Plywood)

I have some scroll saw work I want to do with 3/8" stock for a furniture project. I want the edges to look as close to solid stock as possible, but I need more strength because of the many short grain spots. Would I run into any wood issues by laminating 3 1/8" plys together? The outer two would run one direction and the inner would run 90* to the outer plys. The blank would be about 16" by 21". I would edge glue the panels up and then vacuum press the layers together. I attached a picture of the pattern.

Thanks!back.jpg
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

That's pretty much how plywood is made and with 1/8" layers and a relatively thin end thickness, you shouldn't experience much wood movement issue, if any.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yup, that's pretty much the way to do it! I've done in it the past to repair furniture which was originally built that way, though I used more thinner plies, same basic results.

good luck,
    JeffD

Agree with all. But consider the type of use as well as fragility. There are 18th century tea tables with much thinner fretwork. Unless it's a utility piece I would not consider how well it hold up. Only what is light and beautiful.