Thread: Tormek Jigs

Tormek Jigs

I have a WorkSharp 3000 with the Tool Bar Attachment with it and want to buy a few Tormek jigs to use on it. My question is which ones?
    I think the Multi-jig Tor-SVD50 would be a great asset as would the SVD-110 Tool Rest. What about the Gouge jig SVD 186? Is this really necessary? It states that it is terrific on bowl gouges, but can you get the same results with the Multi-jig? These sharpening systems can be really confusing and expensive.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    I have a WorkSharp 3000 with the Tool Bar Attachment with it and want to buy a few Tormek jigs to use on it. My question is which ones?
    I think the Multi-jig Tor-SVD50 would be a great asset as would the SVD-110 Tool Rest. What about the Gouge jig SVD 186? Is this really necessary? It states that it is terrific on bowl gouges, but can you get the same results with the Multi-jig? These sharpening systems can be really confusing and expensive.
    Thanks.
    Steve, I've used a Tormek for a bunch of years but I know nothing about the WorkSharp 3000. I think I have all the Tormek jigs, at least earlier versions of them. The Tormek manual describes them but they like to sell a copy - I don't know of a downloadable copy.

The SVD-50 works for woodturners skew chisels and for gouges ground "straight across", such as carving tools and woodturners roughing gouges and for one specific bowl gouge grind I know of. It cannot sharpen gouges with the swept-back wings often used for woodturning. Although it will sharpen skew chisels I quit using mine for that in favor of sharpening with just a tool rest. In fact, I sharpen my roughing gouges with just the tool rest too.
    If you like videos this shows the SVS-50 in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBF2NJCcgfY
    https://www.tormek.com/uk/en/grindin...-50-multi-jig/

The SVD-186 (and the earlier but similar SVD-185) is more often used for spindle and bowl gouges for woodturning. It will easily grind the complex fingernail or swept-back grinds in common use today. I use it for all of my spindle gouges and some bowl gouges (some I sharpen freehand). It can be set to duplicate the non-swept-back grinds the SVD-50 will do.
    https://www.tormek.com/media/448711/...01-svd-185.pdf
    There are also a bunch of videos on the SVD-185 (and 186)

I use the SVD-185 far more than I do the SVD-50 but your needs may be different.

I like both of the Tormek tool rests.

Do you ever get up around Knoxville TN? If so, stop in a visit and you can try out all the jigs on my Tormek or a grinder with a CBN wheel.

JKJ

does anyone here use the triton sharpening system?

Thanks for the information John K. Jordan. Very much appreciated. As far as the invitation to your shop in Knoxville, I'll take you up on that next time my wife decides to haul me up to Gatlinburg. Not only to see your jig setup, but to watch the magic on the lathe. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Thanks for the information John K. Jordan. Very much appreciated. As far as the invitation to your shop in Knoxville, I'll take you up on that next time my wife decides to haul me up to Gatlinburg. Not only to see your jig setup, but to watch the magic on the lathe. Thanks again.
    Great! When you do, send an email and I'll send you my cell phone number.

JKJ

Check the diameter of your toolbar. The tool bar on my tormek is 12mm diameter. The jigs wont fit on a half inch tool bar.
    Tony

I have all the woodturning-related Tormek jigs, using them on a bench grinder via the BGM-100 bars. By far the two most-used are the little platform (SVS-110) and gouge jig (SVD-186). I don't use the SVS-50 much anymore because I grind "straight" tools mostly by hand now.

I am a new turner and have the tormek with all the jigs turning and a dry grinder with a wolverine.
    I spent the last month playing with sharpening jigs and practicing with a cheap set from hurricane.
    Here is what I came away with as of now:
    I only need and benefit from a jig with a fingernail grind on a gouge.
    The skews, scrapers and parting tools and roughing gouges with straight grinds are so much easier to do and learn freehand.
    I prefer the Tormek for non hazardous quiet work and dont enjoy metal dust from the dry grinder but its so quick especially if u just need a touch up. Using a little hone with a diamond slip might extend this time but I have yet to perfect that technique. More often than not I end up round the edge!

So to sum up - only the roughing gouge will benefit from a tormek level expense.
    Actually the Varigrind works pretty well too if u have a dry, non worksharp grinder.
    Good luck!