Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sink Cabinet

Sink Cabinet

Any idea why they can't make all kitchen sink cabinets with no center support. What are us big old guys supposed to do? LOL

I'm thinking you might want to 'splain that a little more, Peter...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bet Peter's trying to get in under there to replace the faucets. I feel your pain, Peter. I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I bet Peter's trying to get in under there to replace the faucets. I feel your pain, Peter. I feel your pain.
    Exactly Dave. I think everyone hates working under a sink and when you have to stay sideways because the openings are so small it makes it even worse. Need a really thin blade that I can cut the center support out with then pocket hole it back together when I finish.

It would be a whole lot easier if they put the faucets at the front instead of behind the sink.

Can you just make a new stile to match?

Faucet in the front eh....... No. I don't think I'll cut it, I'll just rough it or find someone really skinny to help.

Blog Entries
    You can use your multi tool to carefully cut out the center support and then reattach it to one of the doors so when the doors are closed it will still be there.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ah...now I get it. When I designed our sink cabinet for the farmhouse stile sink that was going on it, I put double doors with no center stile which absolutely makes for easier access.
    --

I have the same complaint. When I built our new vanity for the hall bath I left out the center stile for this exact reason. Men are built, even thin ones to fit into a 15" wide opening.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

If ever there was an argument for frameless euro boxes...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    If ever there was an argument for frameless euro boxes...
    Frameless euro boxes are ugly!!
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

While on subject of sink bases. When building either a vanity, or sink base, I slope the floor 1/8" towards front. If it ever has a leak, there will be a puddle on the floor in front of sink, instead of bottom rotting out. Usually use a piece of vinyl flooring to cover bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Frameless euro boxes are ugly!!
    While I'm not personally fond of them, it's a pretty subjective thing...many folks much prefer them and consider face frames to be, um...aesthetically unpleasing.
    --

Frameless cabinets are ugly? I don't get it, they are not seen as they are entirely hidden by the doors and panels. That being said, putting a muntin or a division in the centre of a sink is a design error of the first order. Find the culprit who built it and make them crawl in the space! Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

This won't help you squeeze into the space but it might help take the strain off your back while you're in there. I've used a 40 or 50 pound bag of dog food to lay on while under a sink or vanity cabinet "shims" my fat butt up to the level of the cabinet bottom and saves my back.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation