Thread: CA glues for trim?

CA glues for trim?

I’m going to be doing some baseboard/crown molding work in my basement: I’ve just learned about CA glues and how they set instantly, which is quite appealing!

I also hear that they make brittle joints...

but will they do the trick for a corner joint on baseboards or crown?

Too expensive and way too brittle other than for a very small return or an extreme rush job where you can get the check before the joint breaks. Not to mention no fill and no option for sanding-in a bit of gap.

Mark nailed it.

Wood glue only takes five minutes to tack and I think CA would be more hassle than it's worth.

About 5 years ago I ran a house build here we used cement board shingle-esque lap siding with mitered corners. We used a Titebond Hi-PUR-formance glue gun to join the miters. The glue we used set in 60 seconds which required a bit of hustle, but after the minute passed we had a strong joint.

I was at the house a month ago and the corners still look great.

Wasn't tb PUR a hot melt urethane? That's not CA.

WHAT IS THIS, I’ CAN'T BE ENGLISH

ED

Andrew CA glue is basically the same stuff sold as Superglue, aka Crazy Glue, which you are probably familiar with. It has its uses in woodworking, but it can be incredibly messy and troublesome to work with over a large surface or length. The instant-setting property is great for some things, but would be very unforgiving when working with gluing something like trim. Especially if you get it on your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edwards View Post
    WHAT IS THIS, I’ CAN'T BE ENGLISH

ED
    Happens when people are posting from web. I find it annoying too.

Are you guys talking about adhesives like 2p-10?

Wasn't tb PUR a hot melt urethane? That's not CA.
    I am totally aware that PUR is not CA. Other posters commented that CA was not effective for trim work.I was merely presenting a fast setting alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are you guys talking about adhesives like 2p-10?
    Yes, 2p-10 is a CA glue.

I use CA sometimes. Useful for small returns and such. I would not use it for miters on crown. Brittle, little time for "adjustments", can stick to fingers, clothing, walls, etc.

For crown and base miters, I use PVA (Titebond) and spring miter clamps. Clamps come off after 20-30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I am totally aware that PUR is not CA. Other posters commented that CA was not effective for trim work.I was merely presenting a fast setting alternative.
    My apologies Brad, spot on.