Thread: Silver Maple for turning?

Cool Silver Maple for turning?

A buddy of mine saved some chunks of a Silver Maple they took down at the place he had been renting. This stuff is BIG and still very green. It's not regular Maple, but has anyone tried it for turning? If so, any special instructions, tips, hints, etc...
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Turn away! Anything is fair game when it comes to spinning it on a lathe...especially when the "price is right"!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool Hold on....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Turn away! Anything is fair game when it comes to spinning it on a lathe...especially when the "price is right"!
    "Anything..." Jim? Have you ever tried spinning some green Willow? A) You literally get a "shower". B) The stuff is so dern thready, I couldn't find a way to smooth it out. I hear the Silver Maple is pretty soft, but hopefully the fiber it's made of, is a bit more cooperative.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

John, let it dry some.

Then turn some, let dry for a few days, turn again, etc. This will gradually let some of the moisture out. Silver Maple is beautiful wood. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    "Anything..." Jim? Have you ever tried spinning some green Willow? A) You literally get a "shower".
    We turned green poplar at David Ellsworth's three-day seminar at his studio..."shower-city"...(deep in the woods)

I have a whole tree of green willow across the street if I ever have the time to go cut it up before that property sells. The current owner "gave" it to me, but other priorities have kept me away. The biggest attraction is it has a lot of burls on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    We turned green poplar at David Ellsworth's three-day seminar at his studio..."shower-city"...(deep in the woods)

I have a whole tree of green willow across the street if I ever have the time to go cut it up before that property sells. The current owner "gave" it to me, but other priorities have kept me away. The biggest attraction is it has a lot of burls on it...
    Don't know, Jim. Maybe the burls will be less thready. Maybe there are different "flavors" of Willow. All I know is, the piece I had didn't work up nice, at all. It DID, however, produce some beautiful, long curls flying off the lathe! I just love watching those come off a green piece.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas