Thread: Lumber Find

Lumber Find

I love it when you are at your favorite lumber yard buying something else and a board calls to you. I was picking out a piece of cherry last week for a project. I decided to take a quick run by the maple. Well in the light I saw some nice reflections and thought to myself, those don't look like the typical wavy lines of a bad planner cut. After closer inspection, holding up to the light... yes it was... curly maple mixed in with them generic maple boards. I couldn't let it go, cause for a mere $5 a bd foot it was too pretty for some other unknown fool to waste. I slapped it on the cart and away I went merely. So I have a nice 5bdft board added to the stack. Sorry pic police, no pics as of yet. Maybe if I find the time this week. The thing I liked most about it was the consistent tiger lines through out.

Anyways, don't you just love those little surprises in life? Now to find cherry for less than $7+ a bdft in KC.
    Last edited by Scott Coffelt; 11-09-2005 at 5:05 PM.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott,

Schutte lumber for me!

Heck I'd just like to find some 10-11" tiger maple. I'd even settle for 8/4 I could resaw. I'm having a heck of a time trying to match this figure for the sides of the shtender I'm making. le sigh. Perhaps AB bleach and some honey stain.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Now to find cherry for less than $7+ a bdft in KC.
    I know where you can find $4 cherry in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Scott,

Schutte lumber for me!

That's where I found it. Took off last Friday afternoon to spend some time browsing the selections. I heard a rumour that Paxtons's closed, but totally unsubstantiated at this point. I would hate for that to happen as i do buy from them time to time. Usually just too long of a trip for me (60 minutes round trip).
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Try finding Tiger maple hear in KC, not very easy. There was a place who would get some in from time to time, but they folded under. It seemed to me that the Eats coast always had it available, I have been jealous.

Then again, if my memory serves me right, the tiger effect happens in 1% of the trees, thus it is consider rare. Who knows, I just know when you find a jewel like I did, you jump on it even if no projects planned.

I searched high and low for some 8/4 T. Maple a year or so ago, I did find some but it was like $13/bdft IIRC.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

That's where I found it. Took off last Friday afternoon to spend some time browsing the selections. I heard a rumour that Paxtons's closed, but totally unsubstantiated at this point. I would hate for that to happen as i do buy from them time to time. Usually just too long of a trip for me (60 minutes round trip).
    Scott,

I have heard the same thing.......at least some sort of "tapering down" to walk - in customers......

I know they have pretty much gotten out of any tool items like they had. I wonder if they are just focusing on contractor type sales during the week and no store front type business. That would make a lot of sense to me since it does cost a lot to be open on the weekend. They always charged a premium for store front sales. I really liked getting my Maple ply there and some hardwoods. I may have to give them a ring.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott,

I recently moved to Springfield MO from Prairie Village. The guys up at Liberty Hardwoods were always great to deal with.

I bought a couple hundred bf of maple from them last year and a bunch of it had nice curl to it. And soft maple was only 2.25/bf but I didn't get to pick through.

Cal

I've been to their new location out off 435. Seems real nice, I am not sure their hours, but I think they are closed on Sat. but could be wrong. Often that is when I make lumber runs. I should give them a call on their cheery prices. I know they were real reasonable on the plywood side. They even have Baltic Birch in 4x8 sizes. They offer both china a USA grades.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I've been to their new location out off 435. Seems real nice, I am not sure their hours, but I think they are closed on Sat. but could be wrong. Often that is when I make lumber runs. I should give them a call on their cheery prices. I know they were real reasonable on the plywood side. They even have Baltic Birch in 4x8 sizes. They offer both china a USA grades.
    Scott,

Just stopped by there yesterday to see what it's about. No showroom..just order --- I was hoping for some beautiful lumber to look at....

I picked up a price list...I imagine they could fax or email you.....

I know 2 other guys that usually get their lumber at Liberty...they are usually happy with the material.

Yeah, they're really not set up for a reatil location. You just go in and tell them what you are wanting. They load it. I didn't buy hardwood, so I don't know if you can pick it out or what. The day I was there they had a pile of oak near the door and it looked pretty good. I think I will stay with Schutte for hardwood and maybe liberty for sheet goods.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs