Thread: router followup question

router followup question

I know it's usually a no-no to double post on forums, but I tagged the following question on the bottom of my router gloat, and it's almost pushed to page 3....so a preemptive appology if I'm breaking forum rules. Anyway the following is in regards to my Dewalt 618 router.

Is in normal for the depth adjustment ring to be sorta loosey goosey once the router is locked in place in the base? When the locking lever is open, the weight of the router keeps the ring from moving (except for as you moved intentionally by the user). But once it's locked, the ring sort moves maybe as much as an inch side to side - this of course doesn't move the router, since it's locked in place, but it does seem a bit distracting. Also, if you think "what depth did I set this to?" you can't just look down and tell, because it may be out of position a bit...

None of this is a big deal, but I just want ot make sure that it's normal. Otherwise, I got a chance to use the fixed base a fair amount yesterday, and it is awesome.

Whence engaged with the plastic release locks and with the casting's toggle lever locked there is not much depth ring rotation. You might be able to twist it a few degrees but no inch. See left release in pix at the 618 link.