Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pole Barn / Wood Shop

New Pole Barn / Wood Shop

I've spent my last 8 months worth of weekends building a new pole barn on 10 acres I own. The plan is to build a house there in the next year or so. Of course, the "wood shop" had to come first.

The barn is 32' x 48' with an 8' by 48' covered porch. The attic trusses allow for a 16' x 48' room upstairs. Just poured the concrete 2 weekends ago on a perfect fall day and snapped a picture with the maple tree in full color. Started putting on the steel siding last weekend. I hope to have the steel finished this weekend and start on the 10' x 10' overhead door.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what do you guys (and gals) think the best way to insulate the barn would be? Fiber glass with some sort of vapor barrier?

Thanks for looking.

I don't know much about insulation, but WOW! What a shop and location. Thanks for posting and please post more pictures and a description of the progress. Awesome place!
    John

That's an incredibly nice building!! (I'm very jealous...and likely not alone... )

You may find it easier to insulate by using the very wide material available for this kind of structure (and basements) between the poles before you put on the strapping on the interior that you will use to mount your wall material. Vapor barrier should be on the inside.

Please be sure that however you access the "upstairs" is tucked away in the corner somewhere. My shop is bisected by a stairway and it's a pain in the butt...and too difficult to move. (Previous owner built the building) Also, if there is any way you can do a roll-up for your door, rather than a "standard" garage-style door, you'll appreciate the ablity to avoid blocking lighting and other overhead things when the weather is nice and the door is open, especially at night.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-10-2005 at 9:55 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow that really looks great from where I sit. Looks like you have got the trusses on 24" centers. How did you do that with a pole barn construction style. You must have some pretty beefy headers between the posts. My pole barn shop is set on 10' centers trusses and posts using 2x4 perlins between the trusses.

I would like to see a shot of the inside of the building at the top of the wall where the trusses are mounted to the headers. Now that I look at the end wall again I see 2-2x12's mounted to the posts to carry the load. That should work just fine. Don't tell my wife that you can use vinyl siding on the shop. I convinced her that it wouldn't work.

Beautiful place by the way.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nice work space Dave and you have your priorities straight.
    Shop first!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

in these parts most folks go with spray in 2-componant foam, the r value is greater than fiberglass or cellulose and it`s compatable with sweaty metal siding. tod

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I love it! Wish my shop looked like that! Great job!
    Keel McDonald ><>

Dave, fantastic building. That is going to be one sweeeeet workshop.

That is one impressive tree also. Around 70' maybe?

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Dave...fantastic building and location.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dave, my shop isn't as nice as your design, but is the same construction. When we bought our house, the barn was unfinished inside. On the advise of the local lumber yard, I insulated each space between poles by installing a treated 2x4 flat on the floor between the poles. I then cut 23-something" blocks and attached those to the poles and installed a 2x4 flat on the top of the blocks. The space between was insulated with 6" fiberglass made for 24" stud spacing. The kraft paper facing faces inward. I continued up the wall like that until I reached the top. I don't have a second floor and insulated the ceiling with blown-in cellulose.

That is an awesome shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    That's an incredibly nice building!! (I'm very jealous...and likely not alone... )

You may find it easier to insulate by using the very wide material available for this kind of structure (and basements) between the poles before you put on the strapping on the interior that you will use to mount your wall material. Vapor barrier should be on the inside.

Please be sure that however you access the "upstairs" is tucked away in the corner somewhere. My shop is bisected by a stairway and it's a pain in the butt...and too difficult to move. (Previous owner built the building) Also, if there is any way you can do a roll-up for your door, rather than a "standard" garage-style door, you'll appreciate the ablity to avoid blocking lighting and other overhead things when the weather is nice and the door is open, especially at night.
    Thanks for the reply, Jim

The stairs are being placed against the back wall (Opposite wall of the Garage door opening). I'll be building those as soon as the barn is closed in. The barn has 12' ceilings so at first I was concerned I'd need a landing and turn the stairs, but now that the concrete floor is in, my measurements show I can run them straight down.

My poles are placed on 8' centers.. is the materials you a referring to some type of thick styrofoam to fit between posts?

excellent shop and lots of space. My shop is post and beam as well as insulated. here is what I did

1.Completly side the building with wood ( ship laped random width stuff that was run through a planer first).

2. tarpaper or tyvek to cover the entire building ( except for all the doors and window openings.

3. On top of the wood siding that you have just put up frame around all the window and door openings with 4x4's and also along horizontal structural members. This allows you to build a false wall to nail the final siding to.

4. In between all the 4x4's put in solid insulation ( I used cellotex )

5. Side the building again with the final outside siding.

6. Add all the windows and doors and trim.

7. Since my P & B is open to the roof. I had to also do this over all the roof surfaces as well.

lou

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19846

here is a link to my shop tour that might help with some questions

Thanks Everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it. It's been a lot of hard work getting to this point but I can hardly wait to actually live out there and spend my afternoons and weekends in the shop.
    Last edited by Dave Walker; 11-10-2005 at 12:30 PM.

David Less Guest

way cool

Dave,

Make sure you share with us the stuff that will go into it. Buy the way, BEAUTIFUL SHOP.

David