Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little something

A little something

This little piece of cedar was fished out of the trash just to have something to fiddle with and this is what came from it. (I am going to quit throwing away even the smallest scraps!) It's 2 1/4" high without the stopper and light as a feather. The stopper is walnut and fits with a nice little "pop". I made a couple of various sizes of stopper but since I decided to make it a stopper rather than a finial I decided on the one with the medium sized "flame" rather than the more delicate skinny one. There is no finish yet other than a little walnut gel stain on the stopper. Not sure what I am going to use on it, if anything. The bark inclusion was stabilized with CA. I probably will make some more variations on the stopper just to try.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a pretty little thing. I like it although the stopper/finial might be a smidgeon too large. But it still a pretty little thing. Nice job!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

3. Carole, I think that looks fantastic! I love the Cedar, and I also like the top!

Great save from the trash!

Thanks for the picture!

Nice work! I think the blond around the inclusion makes this piece great. Nice font too!

Beautiful piece, Carole. If you must continue to play with the lid, I agree wilth Michael - make the flame a bit smaller and a bit more shapely. But, I don't think any change is necessary.
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

Now, that's kewel, Carole!!

Real pretty Carole. Actually more than that. The grain of the cedar along with the inclusions is splendid,

Two thoughts:

Either make the flame smaller - as has been suggested.

Or, if "size does matter" then try something red such as osage orange or pink ivory.
    Only the Blue Roads

My artistic eye may not be very good because I think it looks great as it is. I think it is absoultley beautiful.

WOW!! I think it's beautiful Carole! I wouldn't put syrup in that bottle!

The colors and the form are just spectacular.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Carole,

I think the bottom is great. I agree that the finial should be smaller. Not shorter, just skinnier. Do a Google on Cindy Drozda and look at the delicate finials on her boxes. I'd give a body part to be able to do that kind of work!

Harry

I just took a look at Cindy Drozda's work Harry....Geez....Makes me feel like I'm wasting wood!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I REALLY REALLY LIKE THAT!!!!!!!

Great job Carole.

Bruce

Harry, I'm still working on thinner but haven't gotten one I like yet. I have seen Cindy's work and it takes an incredible amount of skill to make some of those hair-thin finials she makes, but to me, on some of her pieces, the finials look way too thin and delicate for the vessel they are on. But...that's her "signature" along with the semi-precious stones inside the pieces. I wonder how many have been broken? Of course she uses Blackwood which is a lot stronger than my old dried up walnut! LOL

Hi Carole,
    Ya know, some like Chevy's, some like Fords. Some like em tall and some like em short. Yet some like em fat, others slim. When I create something I don't like, I smash it. My daughter says, "Dad I'll take it, I just say, not for someone to know I maid it.

I have looked at Cindy's work in the past, as well as now. Very nice work, lots and lots of practice. Great to look at.

If you create something you like and it's funcional, as well as art, that's an accomplishment.
    I like what you have created.

John, when you look at Cindy's work and you feel like you are waisting wood, you have it wrong. Your just not taking enough off.

Very nice work Carole, hows the new lathe purring?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    Hi Carole,
    Ya know, some like Chevy's, some like Fords. Some like em tall and some like em short. Yet some like em fat, others slim. When I create something I don't like, I smash it. My daughter says, "Dad I'll take it, I just say, not for someone to know I maid it.

I have looked at Cindy's work in the past, as well as now. Very nice work, lots and lots of practice. Great to look at.

If you create something you like and it's funcional, as well as art, that's an accomplishment.
    I like what you have created.

John, when you look at Cindy's work and you feel like you are waisting wood, you have it wrong. Your just not taking enough off.

Very nice work Carole, hows the new lathe purring?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Thanks, Bill. I don't know that I will EVER be satisfied with what I do. I just finally get so tired of working on a piece that I have to let it go. With this one, I can create new tops in the future as my skills improve or I get a different idea. The comments from others help a lot, even if I may not agree with some of them it's good to be able to look through their eyes. The new lathe is doing fine...except...I still have not been able to get the headstock and tailstock aligned to my satisfaction (which means perfect) and the drive center that came with it is so poorly machined that it only contacts the female taper at 2 places so it slips. I am currently using my steb center. I have called Tim but always get an answering machine. I don't leave a message because the last time I did they never returned my call. I think he is impossibly busy. I emailed today, so we'll see what happens.