Thread: Shepherd shoulder plane kit or miter kit?

Shepherd shoulder plane kit or miter kit?

Folks,
    I'm *hoping* for a Shepherd Tool Company Gft Certificates for Christmas and if I do get one, I'd like to be ready with my wish list of a kit to get.

I have an old Stanley #93, but was wondering which size shoulder plane you'd choose?

I guess there are two choices as I see it:
    1 - keep the #93 and get a Shepherd in a larger size to augment
    2 - sell the Stanley (really a user grade that'sbeen welded) and get a Shepherd as my only shoulder plane.

I haven't used the Stanley yet, as shop time has been limited so I'm not married to either option at the present.

For that matter, should I get a shoulder plane at all, or perhaps save up some more and get a miter kit?
    Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    -Mike
    (who shouldn't admit he still has a St. James Bay Infill casting from the original Oldtools group buy he hasn't started yet...)

I have a couple of shoulder planes and find that I use them mostly to trim the shoulders of tenons. To trim the tenons themselves, I generally use a wide chisel.

Before you purchase the Shepherd shoulder plane, take a look at the Lee Valley (Veritas) shoulder planes. If you want to consider an older plane, check out the Record 073. It's a big shoulder plane but the weight means that you have some inertia when trimming - but many people dislike its size

I owned a Stanley 93 at one time but didn't like it at all. I eventually sold it.

Mike

Sheperd Kits

I'd be vary of purchasing from Sheperd until they get their business straightened out. They are working on improving their deliveries, however some buyers are waiting for kits ordered months ago. There has been very little information on this site but lots on woodnet.

I'd buy a complete Stanley before a Sheperd.

I think they have improved delivery times.

I received my three most recent kits. They are working their posteriors off. They have moved production of many parts in house and the transition was rough. Communication was slow for a while, but lately has been good. I am pulling for these guys, personally. It's a tough row to hoe and I would no own a Spiers smoother or the skills gained making it without them. We're not talking about a faceless corporation here, these are woodworkers and friends.

I am making a shoulder kit soon. Gosh, the miter is beautiful and useful. I need to get some house projects completed before making more tools, though.