Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 days to delivery -finish help

10 days to delivery -finish help

HI, I have ten days (thanksgiving) to deliver this trestle table. Here is the table with the stain on it. I have 10 days before it absolutely has to be delivered. My dilemna is what to use as a finish that will be hard and cure by then, while still giving me enough coats.

Options I have considered.

Waterlox - but need 24 hours between each coat -they say to wait 72 hours after stain and then I will need atleast 4-5 coats which leaves no time to cure.

Ceramathane - water born acrylic finish, which I have used and liked very much. A little different "feel" when finished but can do 2 coats a day and start tomorrow.

Oil based poly - could most likely start tomorrow.

What do you think? Anyone used a better product in a hurry?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bartley's Gel Varnish is fast and builds up quickly...3 or 4 coats acn be done in a couple of days
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Gail.

I have had good luck with the General Finishes Arm-A- Seal product.

It's a wipe om polyurethane varnish. I usually wait 24 hours between coats, but I know that the time element can be compressed to 12 hours for first coat, then apply second coat. It may take 12=24 hours for the subsequent coats.

Unfortunately, you have temperature working against you. Lower the temp, longer the cure.

Today is nice, but the past two days have been cold outside. I was at the Equine Affaire in Springfield, and it could be miserable outside. Watch the weather. If the weather holds, or your space is heated, you would have the finish done in 3-5 days and 5-6 days for final cure. My experience has been that it takes about 5-7 days for full cure depending on temperature.

The finish at the end of the application will be somewhat "soft", meaning it can still be scratched, if you are not careful, but it would almost have to be intentional.

Good luck. I wish I knew of a better/faster product. Unfortunately 'Finish" and "Fast" have never worked in the same sentence for me.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-12-2005 at 11:32 AM.

what about conversion varnishes - post cat type. got to clean the gun out and all that, but they are pretty bullet proof
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    what about conversion varnishes - post cat type. got to clean the gun out and all that, but they are pretty bullet proof
    lou
    Lou beat me to the punch. I've used these for years with great results. Jim

I you have a safe way to spray, than the conversion varnish or is a nice idea. Otherwise, I'd go with the water bourne product sprayed on since you can get it on fast. That said, everything needs some interval of time to cure "hard"...and you'll want to caution your customer about that...nature of the beast and applies to all finishes and all craftspeople making furniture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No finishing sugestions, Gail, but I gotta say those folding legs really make the table stand out (and up, I guess). Such form! Such function!

...ducks and runs...

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    No finishing sugestions, Gail, but I gotta say those folding legs really make the table stand out (and up, I guess). Such form! Such function!
    The legs should probably be powder-coated, then pin-striped. Check with one of your local chopper builders to see who does their work...with enough cash under the table (so to speak ), they should be able to meet your deadline.

Yup, I was gonna say something about Gail's legs, but figured I'd be violating all sorts of TOS stuff.
    Only the Blue Roads

Do all the coats have to be the same thing? You could get quite a few coats of dewaxed shellac on quickly before switching to one of the harder and slower ones on your list. Just a thought.
    Use the fence Luke

Kinda expensive, but it works great

If it works into the budget I would use spray cans of Deft acrylic. It will be expensive compared to brushed on finishes, but the wait time between coats is less than one hour and it is quite a durable finish.

Hey give Gail some slack on the legs.

In all the posts that I have seen here no one else has been able to run metal in thier lathe and steam such tight bens. I just hope that she was running carbide in her power tools.

The question is are the leg uprights morticed, dowled, micro biscut jointed or is it a standard but joints

I would go the dewaxed shlack and then some hard top coat.

Take Care
    Bob Oehler

My vote would be the conversion varnish, I had a week to finish a kitchen table that was wedding present. I recommend target coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oehler
    Hey give Gail some slack on the legs.

In all the posts that I have seen here no one else has been able to run metal in thier lathe and steam such tight bens. I just hope that she was running carbide in her power tools.

The question is are the leg uprights morticed, dowled, micro biscut jointed or is it a standard but joints
    I just want to know how she TIG-welded the legs to the top without setting it on fire.

[QUOTE=Gail O'Rourke]
    Waterlox - but need 24 hours between each coat -they say to wait 72 hours after stain and then I will need atleast 4-5 coats which leaves no time to cure.

I may be late, but I don't think you would really need 24 hours between coats of Waterlox. The data sheet on their web site says 8 hours between recoat, with "overnight recommended". If your finishing room can be made reasonably warm, (over 70 for example) and the humidity is reasonable low, then you should have no problem using the 8 hour recoat schedule.