Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lacquer

Lacquer

You know I never used spray laquer much, but on a project I recently did ( a bathroom cabinet) I went with it because of the humidity. I added some white pigments and all I can say is WOW! I love this stuff. The finish was shiny and white and so so so so so so smooth ! I mean joint lines on the M&T doors disappeared! Just what I was going for ! I'm hooked on this stuff.

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I'm with you Keith. I just recently started using it and the ease of application, the results, the dry time, and the durability is awesome!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

is there any other finish????????remember to much lacquer causes dain bramage. tod

I "grew up" with nitrocellulose lacquer and never found anything that comes even close. You can spray 6 coats a day if you want, including sanding between coats. Repairs are just as easy, sand out the problem and spray on some more. The only draw backs are the smell and explosion possibilities.

What brand did you use Keith?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Lacquer is a great finish

Glad you came on to the lacquer bit, Keith. You may find that lacquer will blush in humid days. You can use a retarder to counter act this situation, or heat the shop. I've been spraying lacquer for over 38 years. There are several good brands on the market, MH Campbell being on of them. If you have a real paint store near by, you'll enjoy the infinite colors they can mix for you. You can also tint clear lacquer an add color to unstained woods. I have furniture that has lasted three decades that was finished with lacquer.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

So is spraying the only way to apply lacquer wondering if it is possible to use this stuff with a brush or rag.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Spraying is the best method but you can buy brushing lacquer like Deft. The drying time is longer so you have time to brush and the lacquer can level out. If you brushed spray lacquer it would dry before you had time to dip the brush a second time.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I just successfully sprayed black laquer on an entertainment system. My first time! I am sold! The only problem I had was the first couple of coats, I didnt have a moisture seperator on my compressor, and it caused it to blush. Added a 20.00 seperator , blew out the lines, voila! Perfect! Now, I'll need to rig a good spray booth /ventilated area for the coming cold weather so I can move indoors and out from under the carport.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm planning on trying lacquer for the first time this week. I can't help but give it a try after some of the comments I've read about it. Threads like this are invaluable when trying something new. Thanks!
    Keel McDonald ><>

The very best is Sherwin Williams Nitro Laquer. Make sure you turn off your air compressor if it is in your shop where you are spraying. Every time the compressor starts the motor will generally spark. Sparks are a NO NO around Nitro Laquer.

On those rare cases when the humidity is high and your laquer tends to blush spray a thin coat of laquer thinner, it will generally draw the blush out. Test this on a piece of scrap first, your milage may very depending on the brand of laquer you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    The very best is Sherwin Williams Nitro Laquer. Make sure you turn off your air compressor if it is in your shop where you are spraying. Every time the compressor starts the motor will generally spark. Sparks are a NO NO around Nitro Laquer.

On those rare cases when the humidity is high and your laquer tends to blush spray a thin coat of laquer thinner, it will generally draw the blush out. Test this on a piece of scrap first, your milage may very depending on the brand of laquer you use.
    Keith

Is there a difference in the spray lacquer and the aerosol variety. I don't currently own a sprayer. I will be using the Deft aerosol lacquer. The reason I ask is that I heat my shop with a wood stove. Is there a danger spraying around the stove, or is it safe as long as it is not in the immediate area?
    Keel McDonald ><>

I guess I lucked out as my first successful attempt stated in the post above was using Sherwin Williams Lacquer.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Humidity...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Denby
    I just successfully sprayed black laquer on an entertainment system. My first time! I am sold! The only problem I had was the first couple of coats, I didnt have a moisture seperator on my compressor, and it caused it to blush. Added a 20.00 seperator , blew out the lines, voila! Perfect! Now, I'll need to rig a good spray booth /ventilated area for the coming cold weather so I can move indoors and out from under the carport.
    My spray room is not climate controlled. I've sprayed lacquer when it was 50 degrees and raining. Warm and high humidity will cause it to blush.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

A little tip...

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald
    I'm planning on trying lacquer for the first time this week. I can't help but give it a try after some of the comments I've read about it. Threads like this are invaluable when trying something new. Thanks!
    Stir you lacquer well. Thin the lacquer you use at 50/50 with a good quality lacquer. Strain it through a nylon stocking, ( ask your female love to safe 'em for you). Spray at 35 psi through a siphon gun, 80 psi through a conversion HVLP. Clean your gun with lacquer thinner when done.
    Phil in Big D

Be careful....

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald
    Keith

Is there a difference in the spray lacquer and the aerosol variety. I don't currently own a sprayer. I will be using the Deft aerosol lacquer. The reason I ask is that I heat my shop with a wood stove. Is there a danger spraying around the stove, or is it safe as long as it is not in the immediate area?
    An aerosol can doesn't have the pressure that a spray gun would have. Laying down six inch overlapping coats can't be done with an aerosol. I wouldn't spray indoors, even though you are a lot safer with a wood burning stove. I use a torpedo heater in my spray room, but ignite it out side and turn it off while spraying. For lacquer spraying, you can use a cheap gun and do a really nice job.
    Phil in Big D