Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name that bolt please

Name that bolt please

Anyone know what the name of this bolt is?

It came from Jessem, on a jig, and i'd like to have some longer ones (it has little nib on head to prevent spinning).

There is no inset in head to turn it-no hex, etc.

Already called Jessem; the guy I waited forever to talk w didn't have any longer ones, or know where I can get more.

Unable to ID w Google Images-w search terms 'bugle head bolt' etc

Any help is appreciated before I ask my machine shop guy to work his magic on long bolts I already have.

Bolt Jessem Jig.JPG
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Is that from a Jessem feather board set? I have two sizes of those that came with my Jessem ParaLign feather boards. How long are the ones you have? I am sure that is a special bolt made for Jessem as I have never seen then except what came with my feather boards.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Do a search on oval head machine screw. I think a phillips head would work thought that might be considered a stud of sorts.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I wonder if you could email that pic to McMaster Carr? They have nearly everything.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    search terms 'bugle head bolt' etc
    Have you tried 'flat head bolt', or 'flat socket cap screw'? Do you need interchangeability between the existing and any new, longer bolt?

It seems you don't need the 'socket' feature of a flat socket cap screw, but it might get you 90% of the way there. I suspect the taper on the underside of your bolt might be different, so you would probably need to hit the hole with the proper countersink to get a good fit.

Rockler uses a similar bolt on their miter bar clamps for feather boards. They use two different lengths depending upon whether it's a single or double height feather board. If you order double height feather board, you get two bolts with it. I'll try to get in shop tomorrow and measure them. You can take a flat head bolt with straight slot (not Phillips) and epoxy a short section of nail in the slot to keep it from spinning.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-15-2018 at 9:17 PM.

That bolt's name is Elliott.

Go to your local fastener wholeseller, will call desk. Plop the bolt down and ask what it is and if they have a longer version. They will be happy to talk.

I’d like to know too. I have some Bench Dog featherboards with the same type of bolt. I as well would like longer ones, for stacking multiples together for a taller featherboard.

I don't know what they are named, but the way the heads are tapered plays into how they expand the bar in the slot to make it get tight to the slot it's in.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks kind of like an elevator bolt to me.
    Bill D

Try search for a 'key locking plov bolt', definitely not an elevator bolt, the head is quite different. These are probably too thick, but gives you an idea.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#carriage-a...bolts/=1b5a12w

might have seen something like that used on door locks as well.
    Last edited by Michael Wildt; 01-15-2018 at 11:47 PM.

It's likely a proprietary bolt and not something you will get an exact match to over a counter. Best bet, if you are not able to cobble something up on your own is to find a friendly old time machine shop that should be able to make some up toot sweet.

Of course the problem these days are that those old machine, blacksmith and gunsmith shops are all but gone... you'll have to search to find shop willing to do such small work at a reasonable price. Perhaps there's a College nearby? Schools that teach machining and such sometimes take such jobs in. Otherwise, perhaps there's someone with a lathe willing to whip them up for you.

If you want to do it yourself, I'd try a flat head screw first... it may be the wrong taper, but it might work as is, or you could have someone weld a bit of metal on top of the head and file it to shape by chucking it in a drill press or some such. You MIGHT be able to get away with just using something like JB weld to build up the area around the head and then file in while it's spinning in the drill press, but it may not be able to handle repeated use?!?!
    Last edited by Christian Setla; 01-16-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks for responding

Michael hit the bolt on the head (sorry), w the plow bolt.

With that information, after much searching, the only plow bolt that is 4" long like I need is like $8 each, and 3/4" diameter (way too big)-cause they are for high stress applications-plows, buckets on tractors, etc. The Jessem featherboard is a M6 1.0 thread.

So-Christian ultimately rung the bell w his cobbled together recommendation.

What i'll probably do is ask my machinist guy to taper down a 4" m6 1.0 bolt to a 60* taper head, and tack weld a little nib on the side.

That particular bolt, from what I see, is used in high stress applications, and the longer it is, requirses a much thicker shaft-way too thick for a little featherboard.

Oh well-I got my answer: machining magic!
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Thanks for responding

Michael hit the bolt on the head (sorry), w the plow bolt.

With that information, after much searching, the only plow bolt that is 4" long like I need is like $8 each, and 3/4" diameter (way too big)-cause they are for high stress applications-plows, buckets on tractors, etc. The Jessem featherboard is a M6 1.0 thread.

So-Christian ultimately rung the bell w his cobbled together recommendation.

What i'll probably do is ask my machinist guy to taper down a 4" m6 1.0 bolt to a 60* taper head, and tack weld a little nib on the side.

That particular bolt, from what I see, is used in high stress applications, and the longer it is, requirses a much thicker shaft-way too thick for a little featherboard.

Oh well-I got my answer: machining magic!
    Take a look at SLEEVE ANCHORS. Sleeve anchors are fasteners used on concrete, blocks and bricks. The image below shows the complete sleeve anchor on the left and disassembled sleeve on the right. That threaded bolt might just do the trick though it looks a little different than the plow bolt mentioned earlier. The sleeve anchor pictured is 3/8" diameter x 3" long. The bolt included is 5/16" coarse thread and a little over 3" long. This bolt does not have the key at the base. Sleeve anchors come in different diameters and lengths. Sleeve anchors can be found a good hardware stores. Most of the big box stores have them. And McMaster-Carr has them, too! At the hardware stores there are usually no minmum quantity. So go look and buy one..... I paid $1.19 for each below.

sleeve anchors.jpg