Thread: Buyer Beware Series: The mark of an excellent company!

Buyer Beware Series: The mark of an excellent company!

I was going over my experience with buying items from General in Canada. A few years ago, I bought a 20 inch planer from general and I loved it before going to an oliver which gave me 4 more inches for the same foot print. So I drove up to the factory to pick this machine up. When asked why, I told the factory manager that I was interested in understanding the process that gave birth to my new toy. He was taken a back that someone would drive that distance just to see how things go in the factory... a modest little factory. I told him that and its cheaper to move this cast iron beast myself.

At any rate, he was giddy as a school boy to give me the ten cent tour. So I got to see the whole 9 yards. From the small office area where dealer orders and inquiries are processed to the big machine tools cranking out new generals. I even got to see the ONE Mazak CNC machining center they have. Its a modest little operation but the employees were very skilled and even prouder to show off their handiworks to a customer with an interest in their trades.

I even got to speak to the lead engineer who works in both design and production operations. In the back, they had just finished a run of disc sanders, lots of model 260 lathes and a two or three SS-032 shapers. The lathes were palletized and then stacked in shelves about three lathes high. It was like paying homage to the Great Wall of General.

I walked out of this place with a thought in my mind..... "This planer will not be the last General I buy!". And it wasn't. Later on I bought an SS-032 shaper which I had until I got my Hofmann shaper. The manager did not know this but he had implicitly sold the shaper my giving me the ten cent tour of his operation. Bravo Guys! Bravo to the Red Maple Leaf!

When I was looking to buy my Hofmann shaper, I remembered my experience with General. Before I lay down enough dead presidents to buy two new cars or a brand new diesel full size pick up truck, I need to know more about the company. Who are they? How do they work? How does the support system operate and how is it organized? How do they run the front office? How do they do machine work? Where do they do machine work? Any business who is working hard to make an honest living is often not only willing to share this information, but giddy to do so as well. Its their internal pride of a job well done and the fact that someone is interested in their accomplishments. German companies are esp. willing to share this information. Many even puslish it in brochures and catalogs and on the internet. You should see the Leitz Lexicon, Revision 3! HOLY COW! Its like a super catalog on blades, shaper cutters, bits, etc but also a master's degree dissertation on the design of these items and how they are made.

Hofmann provided me with a number of photos and explanations on how they run their railroad. Lots of photos of the machine shop showing how they plane the tables, the vintage planer they use for this job, the CNC lathes they have, the Deckel-Maho CNC machines in use, etc. And the interior was so clean you could eat off the floor. Hofmann is a small company that believes in doing things right. The germans have a name for bad work... "Fschuss-Arbeit". Its not a complement to have your work described with this word! There are only about 50 or so employed by Hofmann and the factory actually resembles a swiss chalet a bit with pitched roofs and colorful flowers in the window boxes out front. A machine shop with colorful flowers in the window boxes..... must be run by a woman! And sure enough, it is! Every aspect of this operation was totally impressive. And this tiny little shop just exudes pride for what they do and have done for almost 80 years.

Did I buy a Hofmann shaper? You betcha! The beastie I have is a Hofmann TFS-1200 with a left mount sliding table, HSK-80 quick change spindle and a cast iron, fully planed right extension table. The only reason martin lost out on this bid was they did not make a shaper with manual controls. I wanted manual controls and I was not willing to pay for the fully automatic, servo-centric controls of the T-26.

The page of various options you can get on a Hofmann is two pages long. TWO PAGES! Long tables, short tables, table extensions, MK type traditional spindles in a variety of sizes, HSK -80 spindles in a few sizes, power feeder swing away brackets, etc. etc. etc.

So as a cash paying customer who has purchased more than a small fortune worth of kit, I have become spoiled. If I decide to honor your presence with my hard earned coin, I expect a little hand holding. I want to know everything about the machine I am about to purchase from you. If everything is hidden behind cloak and dagger and curtains and a bit of smoke and mirrors, dude, I am outta-here!!!! I will go where the companies make me actually feel more welcome. A place where I belong!
    Home-Sweet-Home!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

once again dev well spoken and to the point! two points- tod

So Dev, what do you make with all of this dream equipment? Do you run a cabinet or furniture shop or, is this strictly for hobby use. What kinds of pieces are your speciality?

Kelly Mehler went all the way to Austria (I think it was Austria ) to visit the Felder factory. He was very impressed, and it seems it would also meet Dev's criteria, to hear Kelly tell it.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Felder made the list. They even published a graphical history of the company complete with machine tools, upgrades, environmental upgrades, milestones in design work, etc. etc. etc. Its pretty clear that felder takes this work very seriously!

Chris... what do I do? I am just humble little cabinet maker working on a few little kitchens in places like Aspen, Vail, Boulder, Telluride and Steamboat. God bless the pretty people!

Dev,

I would be very interested to see some of your work. Can you post some pictures?

Dev,

I also have been to the General facility in Drummondville. It is suprisingly small isn't it? I also visited their Meehanite certified foundry as well.

Who would have expected that one of the best/last companies actually making/taking tools from iron ore to shipped/finished tool to be in such a small city in what looks like any regular neighbourhood. Very low key.

Who did you meet? I know many people there...

Thanks,

David.

Insightful and well stated. It's true, any company that is 'proud' of their products/services will always be excited to show them off to anyone interested. Lars

David, its been a few years but it was the gentleman who speaks a pretty good english and its in charge around there. Short hair and about 50ish looking and tall.

Yes, I could not believe the place. Its in an old school brick neighborhood and half the building is a prefab metal building painted tan with a single General sign outside. As I recall, they sure could use some extra lighting and infra red heaters in there!

Everyone speaks french up there. There is a small parking lot across from the corner of the metal building on the side where the executive offices are located. I had to park there for a bit until they opened. Sure enough, I got read the riot act by an older lady in french. She clearly was upset at my having parked my explorer and trailer in her lot.

Then we had to figure out how to get my planer out. On the other side of the building is a loading dock that is a single lane wide and rather akward to back a trailer down as I recall. So we just parked in the street and quickly drove the fork up from the dock and put the planer on my trailer.

I think that part of the key to surviving our times is to keep the overhead as small as possible. Northfield has a similar low rent factory and Hofmann might as well be located in an old ski chalet. Felder only recently moved to a new local and had a similar tyrol work environment.

dev, if you ever have the chance i have a friend who toured the scmi factory (business expence of course) amazing place and people. tod http://www.scmgroup-usa.com/tech_tours/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Felder made the list. They even published a graphical history of the company complete with machine tools, upgrades, environmental upgrades, milestones in design work, etc. etc. etc. Its pretty clear that felder takes this work very seriously!

Chris... what do I do? I am just humble little cabinet maker working on a few little kitchens in places like Aspen, Vail, Boulder, Telluride and Steamboat. God bless the pretty people!
    Hi Dev, I visited the Felder factory in June 2004. It was very impressive. I have some friends who have also visited and enjoyed it. I'm hoping to fly to Germany in March for the Nuremburg show. A good friend is setting up a tour of the Martin factory. I'll send you some pictures.