Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project update: Quilted maple and cherry set

Project update: Quilted maple and cherry set

Hi all,

I just wanted to share this with you. I got all excited this weekend when I was working on the finish. This quilted maple is amazing. The pics are a cherry and Qmaple bedroom set that has a 14 drawer dresser,Lingerie cabinet, 2 nightstands, and a sleigh bed. 27 drawers in all. The Qmaple is veneer and the some of the cherry came from our own Tom Sontag. I thought some of you other wood junkies might be interested. I'll post more when I finish them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Martin Lutz; 11-14-2005 at 5:07 PM.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Martin,
    Outstanding wood selection for this project. Once done, this bedroom set looks like it will be quite stunning.

very pretty! nice work. tod

Very nice, Martin,

Did you use plans, or make it up yourself? Looks Shaker to me, but hard to tell from the pics. I clicked on them hoping they would get bigger, but they didn't. If you used plans, I would be interested in the source.

Be sure to post again when you are all finished. Looks like they will turn out wonderfully.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thanks for the compliments. No plans but definitely shaker influenced. I like the simple look with the details in the joinery and figure. Sorry the pics so small. At least I got some posted.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

hi martin
    very nice work.. wish the pictures were bigger also. love the contrast between the woods. for the maple veneer, what do you use as a substrate ?

thanks
    lou

BTW

---------------

hey I like this quote.. I was just reading last night that the word "pauper" is derived from "palus or paul" ... although he was poor, he became rich. something to think about.

Martin, the bedroom set looks nice now, and I'm betting it's gonna be superb when it's done. Excellent wood, and nice job all around.

Got drawers?

- Vaughn

Gorgeous Wood. That dresser is looking fantastic. Great work.

Bigger pics

Here are some bigger pics. Lou the substrate is 15/16" MDF. It presented some wood movement issues that I got to work through. The entire project is solid cherry. Drawer boxes included, wth the exception of the tops and flat panels in the backs and drawer bottoms. I used MDF core cherry ply for these. Thanks for looking.Click on the pics for upsize.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Martin, I always love to see that quilted figure on a piece and that's really special stuff you have there! Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Martin.....I really like that figured wood and the craftsmanship! The clamp organization under the work table is too neat, however!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Those tops look really good now, I can only imagine how good they'll loook as the cherry darkens. Is that cedar inside as the dust shields?

Beautiful work

Great looking pieces, I would love to see pics when they are in place. It will be stunning when you enter the room.

Mike

Ken,

The clamping table really worked out great. I bought and all aluminum assembly table at auction and built the clamp storage under it. Saves a lot of wall space.

Brett

I used aromatic red cedar as dust shields. I was hoping it would add a "touch of class" and set it apart form store bought.

Have a great day.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Really looks great. What finish did you put on the piece? I have some quilted and want to put it with cherry and want to make sure there is some contrast. The quilted I have I got from Northwest Timber and is slightly pinkish in color.