Thread: stove pipe

stove pipe

Good evening gentelmen.
    I have been lurking in the background and have come to see there are some pretty smart people in here for someone like me to ask questions and it is time i let one fly.
    I just recieved a new Onida dust gorilla and was wondering why i couldn't use the wood stove locking pipe. The seams could be sealed with the metal tape i would imagin and around the joints. It is only about 1/3 of the cost of the Onida pipe and i would imagin as thick, 24 ga. Has anyone done this.

First, welcome to the Creek!!

Second, I used PVC S&D, so I can't comment on stove pipe. But are the wye'savailable in stove pipe? You'll need those.

Rick

Reg, I have been in the HVAC business for 28 yrs now. I'm not sure what you mean by "stove" pipe. Most "flue" pipe is double walled and not conducive to dust collection as its expensive and designed for different problems. Regular duct pipe will work, but make sure you buy it from a regular HVAC supply house because the BORG sells lighter weight gauge duct. Also, spring for the long radius ells from the DC specialty business, such as oneida. The radius on regular duct ells is about half of what Oneida's are and are almost twice as restrictive in static pressure rating. Also, you wont be able to find 6/6/6 y's or 5/5/5 y's,etc. at places other than the specialty DC business's either. Make sure you assemble duct with all joints having the male end towards the collector, to lesson dust clog potential.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I used the duct from the BORG in 5' sections and it worked great. I used the plastic elbows and wye fittings and it all fit together perfectly. Good luck

I used heating pipe for the first system I installed. It worked very well. I did not use the normal elbows & fittings that can be bought at the borgs.
    I got elbows & Ys from Woodworks Supply. The elbow have longer sweep & the Ys are made for dust collection.
    http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/SEARCH...TLFIND=132.001

I have some of it on a section that's hooked to the radial arm saw.
    Tape or seal all joints and it will work.

The 26 guage snap lock from Oneida is pretty much identical to the 26/24 guage "stove pipe" sold by HVAC suppliers. I have both in my system. Wyes an long-radius elbows all came from O, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

stove pipe

Evening guys,
    I haven't been here long enough to pick up on the acronyms yet and am unsure of "BORG".
    The "stove pipe is the regular type pipe that vents the smoke out of the house and not the double wall pipe that i use in my stove, very expensive. The insualting "douoble wall" pipe has to go through the roof but singel wall pipe i can run to the cealing.
    Is it feasable to mix the plastic and the metal together and make the system.
    HVAC pipe would be an option i assume. I just can't see giveing Onidas 19.99 for a 30" length of pipe when the regular "stove pipe" is only $6.00 + for a 24 " length. And why not a compleat PVC duct system.
    I am on a learning curve here guys not really sure how all this plays on static electricity , but i wouldn't want my shop to burn or explode eighter.
    Just trying to see what everyones else has done and not be worrying about a fire

My piping is mixed. S&D, stove pipe, HVAC.

Borg. Commonly referred to as Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    I just can't see giveing Onidas 19.99 for a 30" length of pipe when the regular "stove pipe" is only $6.00 + for a 24 " length. And why not a compleat PVC duct system.
    The "stove pipe" at Home Depot, Lowes, etc, (the BORG) assuming the local stores carry it is usually 26 guage. Oneida now seems to be selling the heavier 24 gauge in 48" lengths as well as 26 guage in 5' lengths, according to their online store. I'm not justifying the cost, just wondering where the $19.99 for 30" came from--6" 26 guage, 5' is $13.42. Interestingly enough, the spiral pipe is showing less expensive than snap lock on the site since it's 5' lengths, rather than 4'. (No free shipping on spiral) Very strange!

PVC is a valid option. Upside is easy assmbly. Downside is limited size selection and not necessarily lower cost, depending on where you live, relative to 6". Pick the material that is best for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ok another question, what about blast gates. If it is PVC i use do i get blast gates for the metal and install them the same as i would in metal pipe.

Here's a side note about Oneida's online ordering system. I tried using it a while back for one of my system addons and discovered that it does not list all items. So, I backed out of the process and called them up to get the skinny on the parts I needed but weren't listed.

The response I got boiled down to this. All the online ordering system does is present a list to a human being that actually goes through it item by item looking for inconsistencies or variations that might represent an installation issue. Was told that that roughly 95% of the time they call the customer to confirm various points prior to putting the wheels in motion. I kinda liked that.

Placed my order human to human.
    Only the Blue Roads