Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello and a Summer time tool Gloat (BIG)

Will,
    That is great stuff! You are set!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Sounds like you are off to a running start, fine collection of tools and a job to learn how to use them. Which U of M will you be attending, MN, MT, MI ???.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Youre well off on tools, now to get some wood

Will,

You have more tools than I had at 20 - keeping the peace with SWMBO and equipping the shop is a constant battle. I have heard many others on this forum with clever ways to get new tools, so I know this is a common problem. You are right to get your tools now while you can (only good ones though).

About getting some wood. I have a couple of suggestions. Since you have a good bandsaw and go to school in one of the most heavily tree populated areas in the country (for a city), I would be on the lookout for trees that get cut down. Without too much trouble you could collect some smaller logs that could be milled on your bandsaw. Just stack and let dry - about 1 year later you will be able to use it. The other suggestion is either buying green lumber or milling it yourself. Lamont Tree service at 23 and North Territorial sells any species log for $.50 per bd ft and charges $80 per hour to mill using a Woodmizer LT70. Green lumber should cost around $.75 per bd ft. I have been milling my own lumber using a Logosol TimberJig and Husky 385XP chainsaw. The investment was about $1000, but is has already paid for itself since May of this year. Most of the wood is at my folks air drying, some is in my basement drying.

Ted