Thread: Dust Collection

Dust Collection

I have been a lurker for awhile and have decided to ask a a question if anyone has any ideas. I have decided to upgrade my dust collection and have ordered an Oneida Super Gorilla 3HP. That is fine and good, but I want to automate turning the thing on. I have a remote control lone ranger for 220v and that works and should work with the new unit, but is there a combo unit that will use both the micro switch aluminum gates and the remote? Reason being, I have 1 remote, and will probably upgrade the majority of my plastic gates to the aluminum, but for the ones I don't it would be nice to be able to still use the remote. I probably could crack the case on the remote and get it to work, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Travis, welcome to the Creek. Not sure if it'd work, but have you looked into a "Universal Learning Remote" for your DC setup? If your DC equipment is using IR signals from the remote, you should be able to get a learning remote that can mimic a whole handful of separate remotes. I know it works (and pretty inexpensively) for home audio/video gear, I don't see why it couldn't work for DC switching.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

If you used a power relay to turn on the DC, you could wire it so the input will turn on the DC if any number of switches are on. One of the switches could easily be a remote control turning it on.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I am going to try out the tv remote as I have a spare one of those.

Taking a quick look at the Long Ranger, it doesn't appear that you can tie the blast gates into it. That means you'd need to use a contactor (better a motor starter). You could wire it so the contactor/motor starter was triggered in parallel by either the Lone Ranger or opening a blast gate.

Rob