Thread: Bar room dartboard cabinet finished (pics)

Blog Entries

Bar room dartboard cabinet finished (pics)

I have been waiting for the cooler Fall and Winter months to get back into the shop in earnest and to get going on some planned projects. I am currently getting started on two identical corner hutches for my brother's home, but filling in some "downtime gaps", I have finished up a red oak and walnut dart board cabinet to be included in the bar room here in my home. Also planned are a number of picture frames for some racing related lithographs, a pool cue rack and a wall mounted shelf and display area for behind the bar. All will be constructed of oak and walnut to keep within the decor of the room.

The dart board cabinet was designed by myself to fit around and house the Widdy dart board that I purchased for the bar. It was constructed of red oak and walnut that I purchased rough sawn locally and milled down to the standard 3/4" thickness. The doors were crafted using templates purchased long ago from Sommerfelds Tools. A great finish was achieved using Waterlox sealer and high gloss marine finish.

The doors hold two dozen Widdy original wooden steel tipped darts and the inside of the cabinet is lit using a strip of very small lights. It is mounted on the wall using lag screws into the exisiting studs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred Voorhees; 11-16-2005 at 7:31 PM.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Beautiful work Fred. Looks like it will compliment the bar very well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very Cool. It looks great.

Excellent Fred! Nice work.

Corey

Fred,

That is a work of art and turned out beautiful. Are you really going to let someone throw darts at it?

Very nice work!

Nice job, Fred. Like Bob, I was a bit worried about the darts (knowing how I throw, at least), but it looks like you're using plastic tips, so I'd imagine there's not much damage they can do. Well done on the cabinet.

- Vaughn.

Dart Board

Larry,

Nice job on the dart board, But could we see some pictures of the bar. A dart board is only as good as the beer being served. But really I have been thinking of finishing off my lower level and have given the thought of putting in a bar. I am always looking for ideas for a home bar area and how people put them together.

Regards

Very nice Fred! I love dartboard cabinets...and you've done a nice one!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Fred, very elegant! You will get many years of great use from it.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate
    Larry,

Nice job on the dart board, But could we see some pictures of the bar. A dart board is only as good as the beer being served. But really I have been thinking of finishing off my lower level and have given the thought of putting in a bar. I am always looking for ideas for a home bar area and how people put them together.

Regards
    Actually Ben, I have a complete photo essay of the building of my bar room, which was a former two car attached garage in its former life. You can browse those pictures at my web log web site at http://leatheruppers.blogspot.com/ Just go to the site and scroll down to whichever subject you want to take a gander at.

Also on that site is the building process of the oak and walnut poker table that I built for this room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Nice job, Fred. Like Bob, I was a bit worried about the darts (knowing how I throw, at least), but it looks like you're using plastic tips, so I'd imagine there's not much damage they can do. Well done on the cabinet.

- Vaughn.
    Look closer Vaugh, they are most certainly steel tipped darts. The kind that WILL damage my walls when my drunken buddies miss the board completely.